joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok folks, how reliable are the Instant Weather Maps snowfall "forecasts" compared to some of the others. Here, I put together the 48 hour qpf map and the 48 hour total snowfall for the 6z GFS. Based on standard 10:1, they seem somewhat off, especially if you look at Eastern PA where it appears that it's depicting 1.2 to perhaps 1.5 inch of liquid, yet the total snowfall is 14-18 inches.

Ok folks, how reliable are the Instant Weather Maps snowfall "forecasts" compared to some of the others. Here, I put together the 48 hour qpf map and the 48 hour total snowfall for the 6z GFS. Based on standard 10:1, they seem somewhat off, especially if you look at Eastern PA where it appears that it's depicting 1.2 to perhaps 1.5 inch of liquid, yet the total snowfall is 14-18 inches.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

Snow map is high there Steve, 6z GFS is 1.2" qpf at ABE and 1.12" at AVP (Wilkes barre)

It's all snow but that snowmap would be suggesting 15:1-20:1 ratios, which seem to be pretty high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow map is high there Steve, 6z GFS is 1.2" qpf at ABE and 1.12" at AVP (Wilkes barre)

It's all snow but that snowmap would be suggesting 15:1-20:1 ratios, which seem to be pretty high

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. This may be more banter, but I feel this is where some of the problem lies with the social media forecasters. They don't look at the qpf, just the snow maps. Then they post them, and then the frenzy starts when their followers (the general public) see the high totals.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. This may be more banter, but I feel this is where some of the problem lies with the social media forecasters. They don't look at the qpf, just the snow maps. Then they post them, and then the frenzy starts when their followers (the general public) see the high totals.

That's the whole problem with social media.  Social media has little to do with distributing good information.  It has everything to do with r getting people excited, getting themselves attention, and thereby attracting new followers/likes.

That's the whole problem with social media.  Social media has little to do with distributing good information.  It has everything to do with r getting people excited, getting themselves attention, and thereby attracting new followers/likes.

Yup. 8-12 just doesn't sell like 14-18 does.

Anyway, back on topic. Despite the snow maps, after the 18z run which basically whiffed and had most of the snow north of I-80, the 0z and 6z have come south considerably. I suppose, especially if the 12z shows a similar scenario, that we are starting to trend toward a snowier solution farther south as we get closer to the event.

Due to the timing I wouldn't be surprised if kids had off Monday and then delayed/off Tuesday as well, going to be a long spring for them lol...

This kind of mix is terrible on the roads. Sleet loves to form a nice sheet of ice after a while. 

I heard schools may add 5-10 minutes each period/class (longer days) to make up for lost time rather than extending the year.

Monday looks messy...really don't feel like losing my power again.

If this storm pans out, then I agree that this winter will be going into the record books. I think 2010 was one of the best because of the amount of snow we got. Thats the one thing were missing, a 12"+ snowfall for everyone.

My hope is that the 12z models hold today.

It melted quickly which I wouldn't consider a "winter"....brief happiness. IMO this winter w/o a future storm kills 2010 in just about every aspect.

Current Wxsim with 6z data has our 2nd blockbuster snow event of the season for NW Chesco

It has light snow arriving Sunday AM becoming heavy late in the day with heavy snow continuing occasionally mixing with sleet during Monday before ending overnight into Tuesday AM - Total snow accumulation 16" to 20" temps remaining in the 20's during the entire event

This winter is one of the best in my 40+ years of wearing snow goggles.  2010 was great due to snowfall/frequency, but this year has been IMO a slightly colder version.  With the exception of 2 notable warmups, it has felt like true winter since December.  With the prospects of march looking rather Lionish....lots of icing on a great cake.

Enjoy.

Nut

Due to the timing I wouldn't be surprised if kids had off Monday and then delayed/off Tuesday as well, going to be a long spring for them lol...

This kind of mix is terrible on the roads. Sleet loves to form a nice sheet of ice after a while. 

Schools in my area are just eliminating holidays like MLK day and Presidents Day and even shortening their spring breaks now instead of adding days at the end of the year, which is still possible if need be.

Current Wxsim with 6z data has our 2nd blockbuster snow event of the season for NW Chesco

It has light snow arriving Sunday AM becoming heavy late in the day with heavy snow continuing occasionally mixing with sleet during Monday before ending overnight into Tuesday AM - Total snow accumulation 16" to 20" temps remaining in the 20's during the entire event

Hey Now!!!

at least for the moment :weenie:  

I heard schools may add 5-10 minutes each period/class (longer days) to make up for lost time rather than extending the year.

Monday looks messy...really don't feel like losing my power again.

Gotta get permission from the state before that happens. Delaware schools have already done it, PA Dept. of Ed. doesn't allow for it, yet. School year based on # of days in, not necessarily hours.

This winter is one of the best in my 40+ years of wearing snow goggles.  2010 was great due to snowfall/frequency, but this year has been IMO a slightly colder version.  With the exception of 2 notable warmups, it has felt like true winter since December.  With the prospects of march looking rather Lionish....lots of icing on a great cake.

Enjoy.

Nut

Actually it is MUCH colder than 2010 with january/ february in the running for the coldest two winter combo months in history

Actually it is MUCH colder than 2010 with january/ february in the running for the coldest two winter combo months in history

At PHL, through the 25th, average is 33.4 this year, 33.8 in 2010.

At ABE, the difference is much larger...  27.0 this year versus 29.7 in 2010.

Now this would be cool if it panned out.

It would refresh my front yard stick or maybe bury it ;).

fyi, don't post this on FB or twitter ;).

How is that even possible Ray. What was December 2009 it must have been very cold

PHL was 36.4, 33.2, 31.8 for 09-10 monthly averages.  ABE was 31.4, 28.8, 29.0.

PHL is 38.7, 28.3, 33.3 for 13-14 monthly averages, so far.  ABE is 31.7, 22.6, 26.4.

Where the snow fell makes a differences.

Archived