• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

PHL was 36.4, 33.2, 31.8 for 09-10 monthly averages.  ABE was 31.4, 28.8, 29.0.

PHL is 38.7, 28.3, 33.3 for 13-14 monthly averages, so far.  ABE is 31.7, 22.6, 26.4.

Where the snow fell makes a differences.

Thanks for the stats much colder for Allentown jan/feb the philly numbers totally surprise me wow

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is colder and more suppressed.  I'm almost wondering how far that trend goes as it has been trending this way for several runs.

Anyway, its March, and its a long duration snow.  You won't get good ratios on a long duration March snowfall.  It'll compact over that long time.

for anyone looking at those snowfall maps thinking it will be even remotely that much, you are foolish.  The rates for the entire event are quite low to moderate and in March, that will not equate to 16-18".  Sorry, but just keeping it real

I dont know how this storm will turn out, but the March thing is killing me.  The storm is taking places during the first few days of March.  If the temps are cold enough, it will stick. Light snow stuck to everything here this morning.  Do you really think 4-5 days later that ceases to happen?  I will agree that there will be more melting because of the sun angle..

GFS is colder and more suppressed.  I'm almost wondering how far that trend goes as it has been trending this way for several runs.

Anyway, its March, and its a long duration snow.  You won't get good ratios on a long duration March snowfall.  It'll compact over that long time.

agreed that the ratios wont be fantastic.  Maybe slightly better when snow intensity increases.  My point is that even light snow can stick on March 3 with a cold airmass ,that's all.

I love you Ray, but you're never positive :(

GFS is colder and more suppressed. I'm almost wondering how far that trend goes as it has been trending this way for several runs.

Anyway, its March, and its a long duration snow. You won't get good ratios on a long duration March snowfall. It'll compact over that long time.

The euro had temps falling into the teens as the event unfolds for at least up here. Look at what happen today? The airmass is not exactly early march temps for Monday.

I dont know how this storm will turn out, but the March thing is killing me.  The storm is taking places during the first few days of March.  If the temps are cold enough, it will stick. Light snow stuck to everything here this morning.  Do you really think 4-5 days later that ceases to happen?  I will agree that there will be more melting because of the sun angle..

I bolded this part for a reason.  The snow fell during early morning hours.  This next event (as modeled) is a long duration event that will have snow falling during daylight hours.  With low rates during those hours, it will be tough to accumulate unless the rates are higher.

I bolded this part for a reason.  The snow fell during early morning hours.  This next event (as modeled) is a long duration event that will have snow falling during daylight hours.  With low rates during those hours, it will be tough to accumulate unless the rates are higher.

but also falling during two nights as well!!

Here's the key:  Even if you get good ratios for a while... then the snow will stop.  Or get really light. And it tends to compact when it does that, any time of year but especially in March.  So, good ratios will get defeated by the long duration.  Even if 6-hour measurements might add up to, say, 14-15", at the end of the storm you'd probably have more like 10-12" new on the ground.

Here's the key:  Even if you get good ratios for a while... then the snow will stop.  Or get really light. And it tends to compact when it does that, any time of year but especially in March.  So, good ratios will get defeated by the long duration.  Even if 6-hour measurements might add up to, say, 14-15", at the end of the storm you'd probably have more like 10-12" new on the ground.

well...I'll just have to live with that then  <_<

IWM Maps have a very good algorithim actually that calculates ratios based off of modeled atmospheric conditions. They have been far better than WX Bell, SV or any other service people pay lots of money for that just do 10:1 and call it a day. They also don't factor in sleet or other mixed precip as snow like the other maps do. When the bulk of the precip falls Monday night into Tuesday/Wednesday temps at all levels as modeled by the GFS verbatim support higher ratios.

It's all conjencture at this point but summarily dismissing a map without knowing anything about it is kind of foolish especially for a meteorologist.

I agree that the ratios won't be great but just a simple looks out the window today shows me that the snow will have no problem sticking to even paved surfaced if the air mass that's being modeled for this storm holds true. It was snowing very lightly this morning with temps in the mid 20's and the roads were covered. The sun angle won't change that dramatically in 4 days. 

I agree that the ratios won't be great but just a simple looks out the window today shows me that the snow will have no problem sticking to even paved surfaced if the air mass that's being modeled for this storm holds true. It was snowing very lightly this morning with temps in the mid 20's and the roads were covered. The sun angle won't change that dramatically in 4 days. 

sun angle is a bigger issue as the day progresses ;)

Archived