• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

Lets do a breakdown of ABE on the Euro, shall we?

Sunday 18Z, surface temp 42, above freezing up to 925 mb.

Sunday 18Z to Monday 0Z QPF is 0.05" (rain).

Monday 0Z, surface temp 34, 925 mb temp +2C.

Monday 0Z to 6Z QPF is 0.17" (rain).

Monday 6Z, surface temp 33, +1C all the way up to 800 mb.

Monday 6Z to 12Z QPF is 0.21" (rain changing to sleet).

Monday 12Z surface temp 30F, +2C at 800 mb.

Monday 12Z to 18Z QPF is 0.47" (sleet changing to snow).

Monday 18Z surface temp 26F, finally down below freezing at all levels, but still just -1C at 800 mb.

Monday 18Z to Tuesday 0Z QPF is 0.21" (snow).

0.01" falls after Tuesday 0Z.

By my estimation that might be 0.40" of liquid-equivalent that falls as snow.  If you want to be generous you could say 0.5 or 0.6" liquid-equivalent.  But its no foot, that's for sure.

The voice of reason. But sleet is not bad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets do a breakdown of ABE on the Euro, shall we?

Sunday 18Z, surface temp 42, above freezing up to 925 mb.

Sunday 18Z to Monday 0Z QPF is 0.05" (rain).

Monday 0Z, surface temp 34, 925 mb temp +2C.

Monday 0Z to 6Z QPF is 0.17" (rain).

Monday 6Z, surface temp 33, +1C all the way up to 800 mb.

Monday 6Z to 12Z QPF is 0.21" (rain changing to sleet).

Monday 12Z surface temp 30F, +2C at 800 mb.

Monday 12Z to 18Z QPF is 0.47" (sleet changing to snow).

Monday 18Z surface temp 26F, finally down below freezing at all levels, but still just -1C at 800 mb.

Monday 18Z to Tuesday 0Z QPF is 0.21" (snow).

0.01" falls after Tuesday 0Z.

By my estimation that might be 0.40" of liquid-equivalent that falls as snow.  If you want to be generous you could say 0.5 or 0.6" liquid-equivalent.  But its no foot, that's for sure.

When would the changeover from rain to sleet occur at TTN?

Sleet is awful from a plowman's standpoint. You cannot salt sleet because it doesnt melt through the sleet to get to the road, and you cannot plow it because it sticks to the road. To me, either full out snow, or full out rain. Feb-March of 07 was a nightmare.  

I've been mentioning this for the last few days...Even if we only had 2-4" of snow, with sleet underneath it would be a nightmare. 

Wow....................Ray is and has been one of the most knowledgeable posters on these boards going back to at least 10 years ago when i started following these things........Is he infallible.......No............but I appreciate everything he has contributed here and I have learned a ton......and while he is not immune to criticism I think you should choose your words carefully when you have a dispute with him......I believe he has earned that

I've been mentioning this for the last few days...Even if we only had 2-4" of snow, with sleet underneath it would be a nightmare. 

The real troubling thing about sleet is that it gives a great base for snow to accumulate on.  If this ends up being an all snow event or rain to snow event, the snow might have trouble accumulating on roads.  If you get a layer of sleet down first, though, and THEN get the snow on top, that snow will immediately start piling up even on busy roads and highways.  Just sleet, isn't so bad.  It is kind of like driving in sand, but, yeah, have that sleet followed by some snow and things will quickly get ugly.       

The voice of reason. But sleet is not bad

The only thing that bums me out about the potential sleet-fest is the fact that it would probably cost PHL any (slim) chance it had to break the seasonal snowfall record.  It is too difficult to get 20" of snow in March (and early April) if we go about it the usual way March storms evolve for us... which is to give us dribs and drabs in 2" or 3" slush or sleet events.  To have any shot at the record, we were going to need at least one more big (i.e. 10"+) event along with several more of the more typical flizzards and slush/sleet storms.  This upcoming event seemed like the last, best hope for the "big event".  If this one ends up being 2" of sleet followed by 2" of snow, the record is safe for another year.      

regarding Windvane's post....famartin's one of the coolest guy's here.

A respectful moderator that doesn't abuse his power.  I've been moderating forums for years, and he rightfully allows alot of stuff to fly here...and allows mini-debates to be ironed out in-thread.   

But if you attack him for no reason, of course your posts will be deleted.  

Gee, a lot happened while I was on the road. Thanks for the defense, guys, appreciate it. :thumbsup: there were a few comments made that I'd have liked to reply to but they're gone now. Probably for the best. I'm certainly open to criticism if anyone has it.

Back on topic, definitely looks snowy on the latest guidance. Very interested in what the EC will show.

Archived