joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10M's and 850's are both well below freezing.  should be good enough, to drag it down with heavier QPF.

nam_namer_075_10m_wnd_precip.gif

A lot of ice on  this NAM run for PHL area. Quite a bit of that could be freezing rain. 

Have a hunch that the GFS is going to come in warm yet again in the thermal layers between 700mb and 925 mb. Done so that past few consecutive runs but some are ignoring this. 

For this storm, I am torn between my desire to simply fall back on longer term Philadelphia climatology for a March storm (i.e. PHL will see plenty of snow in the air, some of it impressive, but, in the end, accumulations will be disappointing) or to simply look back on the events of this winter and be certain that somehow, some way, Mother Nature will find a way to jackpot somebody in the immediate PHL area.   

For this storm, I am torn between my desire to simply fall back on longer term Philadelphia climatology for a March storm (i.e. PHL will see plenty of snow in the air, some of it impressive, but, in the end, accumulations will be disappointing) or to simply look back on the events of this winter and be certain that somehow, some way, Mother Nature will find a way to jackpot somebody in the immediate PHL area.   

Ground is plenty cold (with a deep frost line) and surface temps in the 20's during the height of the storm will negate the typical March

effects.

very interesting run there.  wherever the gradient decides to setup there are going to be some impressive totals for sure.  this run taken verbatim you have heavy snow with crashing mid levels and surface temps that would support higher ratios and not too much wind to destroy the dendrites as they fall.  impressive.

Archived