joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect nothing less from Glenn...The best OCM in this market doesn't waffle like weenies between model runs.

I didn't mean it like that, just latest data did move slightly south, we'll see.

Earl Barkers snow maps look pretty good for 18z NAM in the city and NW...

I am still on the 6-10" for our area with pops to 12" 

the models are going to vacillate as they hone in on a solution, it is to be expected.  This morning, prior to the 12z GFS people were discussing a north trend.  Seems like a long time ago, already.  While I do agree that suppression may be an issue, some of the changes from run to run are just noise  I think PHL still in a pretty good spot here for a moderate storm.

The EPAWA seems to think that based of some of the water vapor data they have supports a strengthening of the southern jet, hence weakening of the PV although its a hard call right now. I feel like this storm is in its "awkward middle school years." I like the more Northern Solution, its hard to image so much cold blockage so late in the season. 

The EPAWA seems to think that based of some of the water vapor data they have supports a strengthening of the southern jet, hence weakening of the PV although its a hard call right now. I feel like this storm is in its "awkward middle school years." I like the more Northern Solution, its hard to image so much cold blockage so late in the season. 

In almost every winter storm threat some blog comes out and goes crazy on how the storm out in the ocean is 2mb stronger than the models are showing. 

Perhaps you should look at the radar from Feb. 6th, 2010, while I watched Philly get dumped with 15+ inches . That storm stalled like it hit a brick wall 35 miles from Staten Island. Don't for a second doubt the strength of the Polar Vortex.

I know you said that earlier @mookiemike, but you have to wonder when the resolve of the PV will finally wear down. Some might call this wishcasting: but I'm hoping the snow weenies get a win on this storm. 

I don't think the polar Vortex has a resolve at all, which is "personification", assigning a human quality to a non-human object.

What it does have is cyclical power, strongest in the Winter. At that time, it might as well be a Category 2 hurricane, spinning around the North Pole , until, a piece drops away and hurls itself at North America for a short while.

But it causes havoc, and the coldest temps, because you aren't getting just arctic air, but the coldest of the arctic, the Polar Vortex. It will retreat back, it is a thing ruled by physics, the underpinning of all meteorology.

Yes I will concede that resolve is in fact a word generally used to describe humanistic traits, however I was of course using it the describe the physical interaction between the north and south streams. I am hence not willing to accept that a northern solution being ruled out at this time, especially when many of the vendor forecasts seem to favor it at this point.

I don't think the polar Vortex has a resolve at all, which is "personification", assigning a human quality to a non-human object.

What it does have is cyclical power, strongest in the Winter. At that time, it might as well be a Category 2 hurricane, spinning around the North Pole , until, a piece drops away and hurls itself at North America for a short while.

But it causes havoc, and the coldest temps, because you aren't getting just arctic air, but the coldest of the arctic, the Polar Vortex. It will retreat back, it is a thing ruled by physics, the underpinning of all meteorology.

Agreed but the timing is critical. We need that PV to retreat slowly as that Southern energy is pulling thru. 

Archived