joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-5 Event

windvane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we ARE talking about March. Lots of storms we have gotten lucky with ( and not so lucky with in terms of precipitation.....I'm looking at you ice storm of 2/11/14. ) this year, but it seems like our frenzy is over. It would be interesting to see more snow though. 

??? Almost all the long range data has us going way below normal temps with an active STJ, we are far from over just because one week didn't work out. 

??? Almost all the long range data has us going way below normal temps with an active STJ, we are far from over just because one week didn't work out.

way below normal? Looks about 5 - 10 degrees below normal. If it was last month that would be significant but not so much for march since the avg high temp is in the mid 50s by months end with a mean of 44. I think its about time to stick a fork in it. It was a great winter!

I'm not definitely sure what will happen...no one is. I just notice a stronger primary and temps inching warmer already with each run.

Come on Ralph it's a week away. I remember Ken asking about the euro run for next weekend when it went from off the southeast coast to a lakes cutter then it was gone next day lol

If we had a MOD actively here, I'd have argued that this thread shouldn't have been started until today or tomorrow, we should keep individual storm threat threads within 7 days of reality.  That said, this threat isn't dead yet.  I wouldn't say its likely either.  Its "potential".

way below normal? Looks about 5 - 10 degrees below normal. If it was last month that would be significant but not so much for march since the avg high temp is in the mid 50s by months end with a mean of 44. I think its about time to stick a fork in it. It was a great winter!

why are you discussing the highs at the end of march?  how is that relevant to the weather over the next two weeks? 

Well said. I am guilty of being way too definitive at times...something I'm working on trying to be more open minded towards different solutions. I'm having a tough time with this 'potential'.

That said, can someone please point out what this system has going for it? Aside from the mjo in phase 8 and the +pna?

This is, I think, the third time the Euro blew something up in the far extended (beyond day 7).  The first two have gone "whif" (certainly Wednesday and it sure looks like Saturday too, though minor accumulations are still possible with both).

If we had a MOD actively here, I'd have argued that this thread shouldn't have been started until today or tomorrow, we should keep individual storm threat threads within 7 days of reality. That said, this threat isn't dead yet. I wouldn't say its likely either. Its "potential".

Well said Ray.

I am guilty of being too definitive at times in terms of these storm solutions. I am working hard on having more of an open mind. However, I'm struggling to remain positive with respect to the outcome of this storm.

What positives beside the mjo and pna does this have going for it?

(Sorry for the dual posts...tapatalk acting up)

Well said Ray.

I am guilty of being too definitive at times in terms of these storm solutions. I am working hard on having more of an open mind. However, I'm struggling to remain positive with respect to the outcome of this storm.

What positives beside the mjo and pna does this have going for it?

(Sorry for the dual posts...tapatalk acting up)

A sprawled out 1037-1040HP to the north?

EURO ensemble support

GEFS support

18z GFS support

12z GGEM support

12z JMA support?

What else....

I think this will be a classic miller b which cuts to the OV the redevelops off the delmarva. I'm not against this storm developing at all...I actually feel this will be an important late winter storm for some parts as the mjo and pna point to this. However, I want to see more data supporting a SE PA hit before I'm all in. Looks a litle toasty for my liking but that's just me.

With that said, 0z should be interesting :-)

I think this will be a classic miller b which cuts to the OV the redevelops off the delmarva. I'm not against this storm developing at all...I actually feel this will be an important late winter storm for some parts as the mjo and pna point to this. However, I want to see more data supporting a SE PA hit before I'm all in. Looks a litle toasty for my liking but that's just me.

With that said, 0z should be interesting :-)

You can be the voice of reason, it was just painful seeing you throw in the towel so soon... :lol:

18z gfs confirms our fears...has cutter written all over it. It does transfer but a little late. You can see where this is trending.

First post on this board but 18Z GFS was not a classic cutter at all. It was primarily frozen for all of SEPA until after 186 when there was suspect interaction between energies as the coastal was departing that brought in some random warm air. Basically WAA snow moved into the area around 168. It stayed all snow with a very solid front end thump for all of SEPA through 177-178. From there there was a prolonged period of sleet/snow/ZR until around 186. Basically a 18 hour all frozen event until some weirdness at the end. The confluence to the north held its ground and fed the low level cold. It was the classic warm air attacking the cold high scenario that produces some of the area's most epic storms. Still a long way out and a lot can change but i would take the 18Z GFS scenario in March any day of the week.

Archived