joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations Part 2

Sickman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has jumped around way too much for my liking. We'll see what the new HRRR shows.

I know you are still optimistic but I think that band sitting over Allentown/Reading/Lancaster was supposed to the that band that sat over us on the HRR. I think both our areas got suckered in by bad short term hi res models.

I know you are still optimistic but I think that band sitting over Allentown/Reading/Lancaster was supposed to the that band that sat over us on the HRR. I think both our areas got suckered in by bad short term hi res models.

There will definitely be a pivot east over time so this won't be a lost cause completely. 

People who believed the ridiculous totals and images from the short term models are going to get a lesson in meteorology over modelology tonight. 

I can't stress enough how important the tracks of the mid level centers are for snow in this scenario. It's not surprising where the banding is setting up...just northwest of them during the development of the cyclone is classic. 

New RAP honestly looks a little too far west. The 500mb low is still cruising NE toward Ocean City. I get that it will sooner or later move north, but it had better start doing that real soon in order to have the radar be that focused west. It also looks like the precip may enhance as it gets here (the back part of it), since the 500mb low is expected to open up and then close again, and 700mb low will be closed.

Has jumped around way too much for my liking. We'll see what the new HRRR shows.

completely agree - should have put that in the FWIW column... theyve seemed to be slightly more in step with a further west EPA/NWNJ/HV jackpot if you will but thats not to say they will be the only ones affected... 

There will definitely be a pivot east over time so this won't be a lost cause completely. 

People who believed the ridiculous totals and images from the short term models are going to get a lesson in meteorology over modelology tonight. 

I can't stress enough how important the tracks of the mid level centers are for snow in this scenario. It's not surprising where the banding is setting up...just northwest of them during the development of the cyclone is classic. 

Exactly.... who in the world thought that it would snow heavy east of a pretty much vertical stack of 700/850 lows?

I did believe we would see something like 4-6" from the pivot. Not those insane QPF and snow totals. You may get what we got Boxing Day 02.

Exactly.... who in the world thought that it would snow heavy east of a pretty much vertical stack of 700/850 lows?

The issue though is that the short term mesoscale models were wrong with where the frontogenesis would set up. I noted this a few hours ago because they were off already in VA/DC and that was a bad sign.

This will probably be the first real bust of the year for the HRRR as the banding it had over ABE was 25-50 miles east a few runs ago.

I still think a few inches will fall, but the 6+ amounts ain't happening unless you're in the interior.

Archived