northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/15 Snow threat

SnowGoose69

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the last time that the GFS beat the Euro with a really amplified pattern with a bombing out low. So I am

not sure what the GFS is seeing that the other models aren't. But the 0z runs tonight should really be telling.

I'm thinking (weenie-ing, really) that maybe the NW trend all winter last minute with every storm, rapid development of the upper features, and possible overdevelopment of the low over the convective features out over the Gulf Stream rather than closer in could be reasons to keep hope alive. But yeah, I would have to think the GFS is likely overdone here. But we all thought two days before the storm yesterday that the tracks over Long Island were overdone, and even the day of the storm the features developed notably west of where they were supposed to...

The stakes here are huge-I guess this GFS run is one extreme and the dry as a bone NAM the other. An RGEM solution with a few inches or so seems more likely.

The GFS at 24 hours should have the best banding starting to occur from just E of TTN stretching up thru and past NYC into SNY with the best returns just near Sandy Hook according to maturing 850 and 700mb about to close off. (remember best snows 75-100 miles NW of 850 mb low into the nice RH field. Exactly what happened yesterday when the 850 came further west, the snows went further west. At 27 hours that band would push back into WNJ and stretch into NWnj and into NNJ up into SNY still with insane banding starting to develop over SNE under the best lift. The 700mb closes off over coastal CNJ and the 850 is just off the coast. This to me would put a dry slot almost in exactly the same area as yesterday as WNJ into NWnj gets into good stuff. This then all begins to translate Ewrd thru 30 hours. This kind of scenario COULD produce appreciably more precip then some are thinking with the tracks/development of these mid level features.

It's been moving west it's run but obviously there's a limit to how west it'll move given how close we are. I don't know if there'll be too much if any further movement by the 0z runs so 2-4" looks good around here, maybe 4-6" around the city. 

It's been moving west it's run but obviously there's a limit to how west it'll move given how close we are. I don't know if there'll be too much if any further movement by the 0z runs so 2-4" looks good around here, maybe 4-6" around the city. 

Look what happened yesterday, right through nowcasting/immediate future the low continued to move west of ALL  guidance, this includes the mid level features.

I can't remember the last time that the GFS beat the Euro in a really amplified pattern with a bombing out low. So I am

not sure what the GFS is seeing that the other models aren't. But the 0z runs tonight should really be telling.

The GFS wins have generally been weaker systems that overperformed.

it's been good on northern stream systems this year

I'm thinking (weenie-ing, really) that maybe the NW trend all winter last minute with every storm, rapid development of the upper features, and possible overdevelopment of the low over the convective features out over the Gulf Stream rather than closer in could be reasons to keep hope alive. But yeah, I would have to think the GFS is likely overdone here. But we all thought two days before the storm yesterday that the tracks over Long Island were overdone, and even the day of the storm the features developed notably west of where they were supposed to...

The stakes here are huge-I guess this GFS run is one extreme and the dry as a bone NAM the other. An RGEM solution with a few inches or so seems more likely.

This would be the biggest coup for the GFS since that run for boxing day that was written off as initialization errors.

Otherwise, how often is the GFS west of all the other guidance as it is usually too far east?

I will say, we will need some help from the upper level features if we are going to receive much snow for the area. The initial overrunning which the radar will show early on as being nice snow will move NW of us and die out, at which point we will really be left with the fate of the developing coastal low and the strength of the upper level features. If those are too progressive or not as strong as depicted here, there won't be much of a mechanism to generate snow. I think the RGEM is the last model to really show that initial overrunning kind of snow lasting.

This would be the biggest coup for the GFS since that run for boxing day that was written off as initialization errors.

Otherwise, how often is the GFS west of all the other guidance as it is usually too far east?

Yea very true 0z is looking very interesting....I cant remember a time I have been so interested in so many consecutive models runs...this has been going on for 3 weeks now

I will say, we will need some help from the upper level features if we are going to receive much snow for the area. The initial overrunning which the radar will show early on as being nice snow will move NW of us and die out, at which point we will really be left with the fate of the developing coastal low and the strength of the upper level features. If those are too progressive or not as strong as depicted here, there won't be much of a mechanism to generate snow. I think the RGEM is the last model to really show that initial overrunning kind of snow lasting.

This^

I'm trying not to pay much attention to the QPF fields right now. Pay attention to the mid level features and they will guide you to where the best snows will setup. See my post above for more analysis RE: mid level features. Just like yesterday, doesn't matter what the models show as far  as qpf, follow the mid levels and you can figure out  the precip without much/any help from the model. Following qpf so closely is modelology, placing it according to mid level synoptics is meteorology.

This^

I'm trying not to pay much attention to the QPF fields right now. Pay attention to the mid level features and they will guide you to where the best snows will setup. See my post above for more analysis RE: mid level features. Just like yesterday, doesn't matter what the models show as far as qpf, follow the mid levels and you can figure out the precip without much/any help from the model. Following qpf so closely is modelology, placing it according to mid level synoptics is meteorology.

I was thinking the same as your prior post that if the GFS is right on the 700 and 850 lows it's too far east on the snows

The GFS at 24 hours should have the best banding starting to occur from just E of TTN stretching up thru and past NYC into SNY with the best returns just near Sandy Hook according to maturing 850 and 700mb about to close off. (remember best snows 75-100 miles NW of 850 mb low into the nice RH field. Exactly what happened yesterday when the 850 came further west, the snows went further west. At 27 hours that band would push back into WNJ and stretch into NWnj and into NNJ up into SNY still with insane banding starting to develop over SNE under the best lift. The 700mb closes off over coastal CNJ and the 850 is just off the coast. This to me would put a dry slot almost in exactly the same area as yesterday as WNJ into NWnj gets into good stuff. This then all begins to translate Ewrd thru 30 hours. This kind of scenario COULD produce appreciably more precip then some are thinking with the tracks/development of these mid level features.

Think the orientation tomorrow is different . inside OBX and a B line for the BM . Yesterday at 700 - 850 it was due N for a while .

Think the best forcing is east this time . IMO

I was thinking the same as your prior post that if the GFS is right on the 700 and 850 lows it's too far east on the snows

For some reason the models have seemed to been struggling lately on where to place the best snows in regards to mid level features. Not exactly sure what is causing this, but it's the same situation as yesterday where the best stuff went further n and w.

Think the orientation tomorrow is different . inside OBX and a B line for the BM . Yesterday at 700 - 850 it was due N for a while .

Think the best forcing is east this time . IMO

I agree with this, but Im also seeing 2 distinct max areas. The best forcing is clearly NE stretching into NE ( that would be the strong banding I was alluding to stretching NE from NYC but I think the highest total snowfall accums don't stretch in a SW to NE line, I think it goes almost in a crescent moon shape from SNE back down into SNY and NW NJ

This shortwave is really digging to our west and south:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/wv-animated.gif

What a beautiful image, our beast of a storm yesterday departing to the NE in an absolutely classic WV sig. and a strong vort digging right on its heels. Looks to me like the ridge out west is quite pumped and I think that is really aiding. So eventually the kicker will push everything east but for right now it is pretty much bearing down behind our vort and pushing it south.

What a beautiful image, our beast of a storm yesterday departing to the NE in an absolutely classic WV sig. and a strong vort digging right on its heels. Looks to me like the ridge out west is quite pumped and I think that is really aiding. So eventually the kicker will push everything east but for right now it is pretty much bearing down behind our vort and pushing it south.

I was just going to say what a monster storm...its influence extends from Cuba to Greenland

The progressiveness of it is what could really be a concern... if only something can slow it down a little.

I agree with this, but Im also seeing 2 distinct max areas. The best forcing is clearly NE stretching into NE ( that would be the strong banding I was alluding to stretching NE from NYC but I think the highest total snowfall accums don't stretch in a SW to NE line, I think it goes almost in a crescent moon shape from SNE back down into SNY and NW NJ

Yes Imo the northern max may just snow longer

But the upward motion to the east prob maxes out accumulations I agree the rip off zone may b close to last nite. It just bulges from the south not the east like last nite.

Let's hope it gets to the delmarva. Philly to nyc has been a favored corridor out of the southern branch ths year

Archived