amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/15 Snow threat

SnowGoose69

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the GFS can underestimate confluence and it was too amped with the clipper last weekend

before backing off. Would like to see how Euro handles confluence behind the 50/50 shortly.

I am probably 2-4 right now with the potential to bump up if track is closer.

I agree with you. If the Euro comes in better, I'd go 2-5", 5 being much of Suffolk.

But the GFS can underestimate confluence and it was too amped with the clipper last weekend

before backing off. Would like to see how Euro handles confluence behind the 50/50 shortly.

I am probably 2-4 right now with the potential to bump up if track is closer.

The confluence isn't as strong here.

This is not an atmospheric setup that delivers us steady or heavy snow..instead we'll be within a transition zone from an area of weak to moderate lift. 

The stronger lift and frontogenic banding development will be occurring to our northeast as the mid level centers close off..and so what we'll be getting as liquid precipitation is the lift which is quickly transferring to that area. 

I wouldn't expect more than 1-3" especially near the coast where BL temps are a little warm. But I suppose someone could get amounts on the high end of that if a band sets up early and hangs out until the best forcing moves northeast. 

This run came west but not enough for NYC. Light snowfall on this run for the area. This run also bombed the low a little earlier. If we can get the low to bomb out even further, we will be in business.

Was hoping to see it better based on what I was reading. There's still a real possibility we are in a snow hole between the initial lift west of us and the lift over the ocean for the coastal storm.

Euro snow maps on SV spit out 1-2" area wide. People are going to wake up tomorrow morning and think the radar looks great only to see it fall apart and shift to the coastal. The high res NAM showed this well.

Still have time for adjustments. This is really close to something bigger if we can get the low to bomb out a little quicker.

Still have time for adjustments. This is really close to something bigger if we can get the low to bomb out a little quicker.

Maybe for the immediate coastal sections and Long Island. I'm headed to DC anyway, hoping to cash in on some of the WAA snows down that way, although the Euro has the best lift staying to the NW.

Euro snow maps on SV spit out 1-2" area wide. People are going to wake up tomorrow morning and think the radar looks great only to see it fall apart and shift to the coastal. The high res NAM showed this well.

Euro shows .20" for NYC; Double of last night's run.

NYC and east will jackpot with this one.

The low bombing out quicker can actually hurt us if the bombing out takes place too far east. It will kill any snow from the initial overrunning wave and we are left in a huge precip shadow. It's a problem central PA frequently has when storms redevelop too far east for them. The upper air lows have to be NW enough for snow to break out here by deformation, if they are more suppressed we will get very little. And part of what we get may be lost to above freezing temps.

Archived