• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part IV

I figure they might upgrade to a warning here after seeing all the 18Z runs.

It was interesting chatting with HM and Adam Moyer on Twitter. they seem to think it could get interesting between 21Z-3Z Thu Fri for here. So, pointing that out if people panic up here because it doesn't look good late morning.

There is likely to be a lull in intensity as the waa fades before the deform band crossed our area.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figure they might upgrade to a warning here after seeing all the 18Z runs. 

It was interesting chatting with HM and Adam Moyer on Twitter. they seem to think it could get interesting between 21Z-3Z Thu Fri for here. So, pointing that out if people panic up here because it doesn't look good late morning. 

Really wish I could share the accupro map of the Euro's 850 wind anomalies, they're at least -4 standard deviations or better (anomalous easterly flow) for central and eastern PA at hour 30 and 36. Was something I mentioned early this morning after the 0z run.  

For our driver friends fyi...

http://www.paturnpike.com/press/2014/20140212153754.htm

"MIDDLETOWN, PA. (FEB. 12, 2014) — In anticipation of the impending winter storm, the Pa. Turnpike Commission (PTC) will ban all empty and double tractor-trailers beginning at 11 p.m. tonight. The ban will be in effect on the turnpike from Breezewood (Exit #161) to the Delaware River Bridge (Exit #359) and the entire Northeastern Extension (I-476) from Mid County (Exit #20) to Clarks Summit (Exit #131)."

Really wish I could share the accupro map of the Euro's 850 wind anomalies, they're at least -4 standard deviations or better (anomalous easterly flow) for central and eastern PA at hour 30 and 36. Was something I mentioned early this morning after the 0z run.  

I wonder if qpf will respond in tonight's 0z run. 

Any mets wanna sound off on the differences in deform placement between us high res models and the euro? Ec has been a rock insisting it sets up over central pa tomorrow afternoon. High res are starting to see it but are mostly showing it weak then blow up over nj and NYC. What's your take? Even though euro had been steady half it's qpf is relying on that deform. Is 81 area setting itself up to be let down expecting that or is the ec idea believable?

Just had this forwarded onto me:

"

Dauphin County is no longer in the 6”-10” range.  We have just been upped to 10”-14” range.  Please see the latest attached briefing.  At this time Dauphin County EOC is not opening but EMA staff will be monitoring the overnight situation.

Dan Scully"

Actually, looking at the actual presentation even cumberland is in the 10-14 range now

RGEM is fine. Look at radar and breath. 

Exactly, and I'm going to say it now...totals will be higher and further west than the models are showing. EVERY model has it in a position that would give most of the posters 4+ including State College and Williamsport. NEPA and LSV may get in on a ccb which could mean up to a foot. I'm going on the side of coastal huggers=good snow for interior.

Any mets wanna sound off on the differences in deform placement between us high res models and the euro? Ec has been a rock insisting it sets up over central pa tomorrow afternoon. High res are starting to see it but are mostly showing it weak then blow up over nj and NYC. What's your take? Even though euro had been steady half it's qpf is relying on that deform. Is 81 area setting itself up to be let down expecting that or is the ec idea believable?

That blow-up over Jersey is due to the deepening 500 mb low and associated cyclonic vorticity advection. The banding potential still looks pretty good to me with even the GFS having a good deformation zone later in the day on Thursday as the cold air advection increases upstream and north of the 700 mb low.

However, the ultimate position of that band will be very important. I agree that most of the precipitation, especially northwest of MDT will come from that feature. Those to the southeast will have mesoscale forcing at a lower height, with much greater 850 mb frontogenesis, a consequence of the poleward and upward sloping secondary circulation in the jet entrance region.

Both the GFS and Euro take a similar track with the 700 mb low; the Euro is just delayed a few hours. I don't see any reason why the GFS should not have this feature present, especially with zonal wind anomalies 4 standard deviations below the mean.

Archived