joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

Sn0waddict

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesnt the RGEM run off CMC? Not totally surprising as CMC was west (though obviously this is even further so).  Seems to be an extreme outlier though so lets wait for 00z before we panic.

Can a met explain why it took such an inland track?

I'm not a met but as far as I can tell the low closed off too soon, the Great Lakes kicker is ignored until it is too late, there's no downstream blocking/-NAO and the cold air source to the north is too far to the north to help us.

Can a met chime in with suspicions on the RGEM's dramatic shift west? Could it be picking up on a less intense kicker now that the piece of energy is moving inland?

I've followed the RGEM more this winter than ever before and I have noticed it tends to have some very strange 06 and 18z runs, it seems like it's still stuck in the old ETA and GFS days when off hour runs were way worse than they seem to be today. Basically it tries to capture the low via the Great Lakes low in essence if we had a 60 hour frame this thing would be over central pa it's basically going sandy on the coastal

I've followed the RGEM more this winter than ever before and I have noticed it tends to have some very strange 06 and 18z runs, it seems like it's still stuck in the old ETA and GFS days when off hour runs were way worse than they seem to be today. Basically it tries to capture the low via the Great Lakes low in essence if we had a 60 hour frame this thing would be over central pa it's basically going sandy on the coastal

Well lets hope it goes east tonight

Oh this is a brutal statement from Upton out here on LI.  AKA flip a coin if this storm will wash out your snow pack or add to it!

WE MAY BE TALKING FLOODING CONCERNS WITH WARMER TEMPS AND LIQUID QPF AMOUNTS 3/4 TO 1 1/2 INCHES. IF THE NAM VERIFIES...WE COULD BE TALKING HEAVIER SNOW AMOUNTS DOWN INTO COASTAL ZONES...POSSIBLY GREATER THAN 8 INCHES. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TRACK OF THE LOW AND WHERE THE RAIN/SNOW LINE SETS UP ON THURSDAY

Probably blows up the low very early and occludes it around the 500mb low.

Obviously, that would be horrendous for anyone in our area. Instead of adding to the snow pack, that would probably melt it all. :lol:

Its entirely possible the end result of such a scenario would actually be more drizzle and showers than anything else, you might get an initial blast of heavy snow and then the system would be occluding so far to our south its possible you'd be left with nothing more than spotty light rain...there is a signal for a massive dry slot in there on that RGEM run.

Its entirely possible the end result of such a scenario would actually be more drizzle and showers than anything else, you might get an initial blast of heavy snow and then the system would be occluding so far to our south its possible you'd be left with nothing more than spotty light rain...there is a signal for a massive dry slot in there on that RGEM run.

Yeah you can definitely see its rain but not heavy by hour 54 when the low is sw of us

Oh this is a brutal statement from Upton out here on LI.  AKA flip a coin if this storm will wash out your snow pack or add to it!

WE MAY BE TALKING FLOODING CONCERNS WITH WARMER TEMPS AND LIQUID QPF AMOUNTS 3/4 TO 1 1/2 INCHES. IF THE NAM VERIFIES...WE COULD BE TALKING HEAVIER SNOW AMOUNTS DOWN INTO COASTAL ZONES...POSSIBLY GREATER THAN 8 INCHES. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TRACK OF THE LOW AND WHERE THE RAIN/SNOW LINE SETS UP ON THURSDAY

U would think they would use past storms climate type of storm ect as a factor than model hugging. With that said almost every model has shown Minimum of  8 inches of snow even the ones with a changeover. As it is I think they are lowballing the amounts but I guess it is better era on the side of caution. 

Archived