TRANQUIL EARLY AFTERNOON WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL PRECEDE THE
ARRIVAL OF SNOW FOR THE LATE AFTERNOON THROUGH MUCH OF TONIGHT
WITH AN EVENING PEAK REMAINING ON TRACK. ONSET TIMING AROUND 4 PM
WILL BE IN THE FORM OF LIGHT SNOW WITH BROKEN COVERAGE DUE TO THIS
INITIAL ROUND OF MOISTURE BEING UTILIZED MORE TO SATURATE THE LOW
LEVELS. A FEW BURSTS OF STEADIER SNOW WILL BE ABLE TO ORGANIZE AS
FULL SATURATION IS ACHIEVED WHICH WILL RESULT IN ROUGHLY 1/2 INCH
OF ACCUMULATION MOST AREAS BEFORE 7 PM WITH AT LEAST MODEST
IMPACT ON THE HOLIDAY LIGHTENED EVENING COMMUTE.

SO FAR DURING THE MORNING, OBSERVATIONS OVER THE MIDWEST SUPPORT
INCOMING 12Z MODEL DATA THAT INDICATE AN INCREASING TREND ON
SYSTEM INTENSITY AS IT MOVES THROUGH LOWER MICHIGAN DURING THE
EVENING. PLAN TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS
LEADING UP TO THE AFTERNOON PACKAGE, ALONG WITH EVALUATION OF THE
COMPLETE 12Z MODEL SUITE, BEFORE MAKING A CALL ON ANY HEADLINE
CHANGES. AT THIS POINT, IT DOES APPEAR THAT HIGH END ADVISORY
ACCUMULATION WILL BE EASILY ATTAINABLE OVER NEARLY ALL OF SE
MICHIGAN. REFINEMENT OF SNOWFALL RATE AND TIMING EXPECTATIONS WILL
BE THE MAIN CONSIDERATION FOR A POSSIBLE HEADLINE UPGRADE AS
OVERALL SYSTEM TOTALS DO NOT APPEAR TO HAVE POTENTIAL FOR
EXCEEDING 8 INCHES YET.

My flight from NYC back to ORD scheduled to land at 825 pm. Not too optimistic about that but we'll see. Haven't looked at much but the WSW hoisted by my office seems well justified given the likelihood of very high snowfall rates. From an impact standpoint, whether a given location receives 5" or 7" it all would've fallen in a pretty short period of time. And although it's a holiday, many businesses still open so the impacts will be increased with snow still falling during the commute.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

But I don't think it will necessarily mean that's the way it'll be across IN.  I think you'll be fine up there in snow country.. :lol:

Definitely looking ICY around the doughnut counties though..

Snow country... :lol:

We'll see.  Seems like it did a decent job with current precip types.  Just going to have to keep watching trends.

Meh. We'll see. But you did see the precip minima over LAF on the 15z RAP too, right? ;)

66 mph gust in Rantoul IL.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL  1045 AM CST MON FEB 17 2014     DISCUSSION    ISSUED 1045 AM CST MON FEB 17 2014    HAD SOME THUNDERSTORMS WITH SNOW, SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IN  CHAMPAIGN COUNTY PAST HOUR AND CURRENTLY THE THUNDERSTORMS ARE  MOVING NE INTO NW VERMILION COUNTY AT 1030 AM. RANTOUL JUST HAD A  WIND GUST OF 66 MPH WITH THUNDERSTORMS TO THEIR EAST. THESE  THUNDERSTORMS TO EXIT NE OF VERMILION COUNTY IN NEXT HALF HOUR.  HAD 1-2 INCHES OF SNOW FROM I-74 NORTH SO FAR THIS MORNING WHILE A  TENTH TO TWO TENTHS OF ICE OVER PARTS OF CENTRAL IL SOUTH OF I-74  WITH 0.23 INCH ICE AT JACKONSVILLE. LESS COVERAGE OF FREEZING RAIN  IN SOUTHEAST IL WHERE PRECIPITATION IS MORE SCATTERED. BACK EDGE  OF MIXED WINTER PCPN OVER EASTERN IA AND NE MO SO EXPECT PCPN TO  DIMINISH FROM THE WEST DURING THE AFTERNOON, LASTING LONGEST OVER  EAST CENTRAL IL. MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOW WARMEST LAYERS ALOFT PEAKING  ABOUT NOW AND THEN SOME COOLING IN THERMAL LAYERS FROM 18Z INTO  THE AFTERNOON WITH MIXED PCPN CHANGING BACK TO SNOW OVER NW COUNTIES.  STILL A MIX OF PCPN OVER CENTRAL COUNTIES THIS AFTERNOON AND  MAINLY RAIN SOUTH OF I-70 AS TEMPS ALREADY NEAR FREEZING CLIMB  INTO THE MID TO UPPER 30S FOR HIGHS. HIGHS ONLY REACH 30-32F OVER  NORTHERN COUNTIES WHERE BEST CHANCE OF SEEING 2-4 INCHES OF MORE SNOW.  UPDATED FORECAST TO BE RELEASED IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.     

Wind has been the story here in Sheboygan Co. WI so far.  Woke up @6 to 15-20 out of the SE and it's gradually picked up to a steady 20-25, with frequent gusts to 30-35.  Peak gust here has been 38. 
     Live out in open country, so there's been a lot of blowing and drifting.  (We have a few inches of recent fluff available)  Went to town and had to dig my way thru the last 50' of driveway.  That was a surprise.  Don't get too many drifting events with SSE winds. 

Realize it's been a dream winter for many on the forum, (IL/IN/MI, it seems)  Congrats to everyone who's been getting it.  Up here, tho, this could be our best storm of the winter.  I'm at 37.2" for the season, and the best snow was 6" on Dec. 22nd (which didn't have more than a 10mph wind.)  Other than that, it's been a true nickel-and-dime winter, which gets monotonous.  So yeah, I'm psyched for something that looks like a real snowstorm. 

As I finish this post, steady snow has moved in.  But visibility is still at least 1-1.5 miles, so nothing special yet.  Enjoying the surface obs from places like MSN, CID, DVN and the like. 

Archived