EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's crappy point and click weather forecasting from Weather Underground, but it has snow in the forecast already.  I like the way next week is shaping up.

Tuesday
snow.gif Periods of light snow. High near 40F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
Tuesday Night
nt_mostlycloudy.gif Partly cloudy skies during the evening will give way to cloudy skies overnight. Low 26F. Winds light and variable.
Wednesday
snow.gif Snow during the morning will taper off to light snow during the afternoon. High 37F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches

What are people's thoughts about the 2/26 event? It looks like it would be at least a period of all snow on the GFS and then maybe the surface warming. 0.25+ total. Hoping we can sneak a 1-3er in.

It's been a nice gradual trend towards an ok event. GFS has been more excited but the euro took a nice step last night. Euro ens members took a nice step as well. Looks like 1-3/2-4 is in the cards if the surface supports it.

There's still a possibility that the wave gets more organized and the coastal gets going better. It's a fast mover either way so it will depend on rates.

I've liked the period for quite a few days now. We'll see how trends go this weekend.

HM, any thoughts on the MJO going to phase 8? Seems like reliable ens guidance is all pointing that way in a week or so. Ens guidance is also converging on west coast ridging re-emerging around march 4-5th or so. It's in interesting look if split flow sets up. I can envision st moisture undercutting and joining the party along the gulf coast. It's way out in lala but the look is there nonetheless. Our window keeps looking like it has legs as days pass.

I'm all in for the storm following the mid week event, following the no storm on March 1,  following  the quasi cutter.

The period March 7-10 is going to rock-----the set-up is potentially better than next weekend.

MDstorm

GFS seems to want us to wake up to an 1" tuesday morning. lol

Maybe closer to 2" for many....the timing is actually idea,....4am - 9am event....we don't really warm at the surface until after it shuts off...it would be a snow event...a nice stats padder...probably melt a lot in the city by mid afternoon as we are around 40

Maybe closer to 2" for many....the timing is actually idea,....4am - 9am event....we don't really warm at the surface until after it shuts off...it would be a snow event...a nice stats padder...probably melt a lot in the city by mid afternoon as we are around 40

Wed is starting to really look nice too...

GFS seems to want us to wake up to an 1" tuesday morning. lol

then part 2 wednesday morning also with a 4am start...which we know has been showing up for a while now...colder and juicier...maybe 3"+

then part 2 wednesday morning also with a 4am start...which we know has been showing up for a while now...colder and juicier...maybe 3"+

The coastal influence keeps looking better every day. I've really like it for a 1-3/2-4 but if things keep getting more organized we could end up low end warning criteria...

lol...what do you think?...IT is an I-95 SECS...and even if it didn't, do you really think it can snow more than 1" in DC, and York PA not get at least 12-18"?

Ha ha ha ha.  Just haven't looked at maps yet, but we have been blessed this winter in York.  Seems like these storms eventually trend how we want them to. 

I'll be very interested by this afternoon if the EURO gets fully on board.  

Can anyone remind me how the EURO/GFS did with the Late January event on the arctic front?  I was away that weekend skiing.  Which model caught it first?

The GFS actually did a bit better than the Euro on that event in the D4-6 time frame...Euro was pretty slow in coming around to the idea of that system amplifying on the arctic boundary.

Doesn't mean it will this time around, but the Euro does seem to have struggled at times this year with the fast flow northern stream setups.

The GFS actually did a bit better than the Euro on that event in the D4-6 time frame...Euro was pretty slow in coming around to the idea of that system amplifying on the arctic boundary.

Doesn't mean it will this around, but the Euro does seem to have struggled at times this year with the fast flow northern stream setups.

This is encouraging and believable....People need to remember this isn't the same set up as 2/13 where the GFS floundered.  

Archived