• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

time for the GFS to trend toward the euro.

Wouldn't count on that. Sounds like the EPS is leaning a bit more the way of the GFS op if anything. Model specifics aside, the pattern seems to support a snow to rain type deal. This should be a pretty good storm for NW of I-95. For DC and esp places SE, a few inches followed by rain seems reasonable.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not, though it is usually a pretty good bet that the storm will trend not in our favor.....as the models want it to snow here much more than is consistent with our climo....

1987 didnt have a 50-50 I dont think....it was a pretty rotten pattern as you remember, except for a big PNA ridge...of course the Nino probably helped....it also has some east based blocking

It didn't have a classic 50 50 but had a strongly negative NAO and had a surface low still producing northwesterly winds over Maine as the storm started up the east coast. 

Here's the anomaly pattern.  

post-70-0-38368700-1391895731_thumb.gif

Wouldn't count on that. Sounds like the EPS is leaning a bit more the way of the GFS op if anything. Model specifics aside, the pattern seems to support a snow to rain type deal. This should be a pretty good storm for NW of I-95. For DC and esp places SE, a few inches followed by rain seems reasonable.

I don't disagree about snow to rain but I'm not sure we're looking at the same EPS. GFS op is totally different.

I don't disagree about snow to rain but I'm not sure we're looking at the same EPS. GFS op is totally different.

GFS has had the low coming up the coast for awhile. Its been too warm, but the EURO op and ens have come in with less snow, and a definite change to rain along and east of I-95. In that context, if there has been any movement at all between the models, its certainly not the GFS towards the Euro.

Huh?

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's looking at. Or are we looking at /reading the wrong thing?

I think the comparison is being made to sensible wx outcome. That the euro has back off it's initial snow destruction and has snow to mix now. But the evolution between the 2 models are starkly different. Euro has been consistent and the GFS makes up something brand new every 6 hours. It's easy to not rely on the gfs right now but it's pissing me off nonetheless.

I think the comparison is being made to sensible wx outcome. That the euro has back off it's initial snow destruction and has snow to mix now. But the evolution between the 2 models are starkly different. Euro has been consistent and the GFS makes up something brand new every 6 hours. It's easy to not rely on the gfs right now but it's pissing me off nonetheless.

18z GFS is loltastic... I am not sure if we should even put any stock into the GFS at this point, esp when this run we see absolutely nothing

18z GFS is loltastic... I am not sure if we should even put any stock into the GFS at this point

I can't remember the last time I've seen the euro repeat itself 4 times in a row at this lead but the gfs hasn't even come close to resembling it in 8 runs. And for the euro to have such strong support with it's ensembles is crazy. I know this, if the 18z gfs op verifies then the euro might have to be put in the same class as the CMC or even dgex.

Yes. It is irrational, but the gfs is making me angry. Something needs to give either way.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's looking at. Or are we looking at /reading the wrong thing?

Never mind. I was replying to Wonderdog's post hoping the GFS trends toward the Euro. I said dont count on it. Obviously the 2 models are pretty far apart on the specific evolution. The Euro now has a low, coming up the coast, and further west, with less snow for I-95 and east. Subjectively, IF ANYTHINIG, that is more of a move towards the GFS than visa versa. I dont think I said they were similar.

I'll go with the Candian/GFS.....90% of the time, the model giving us snow in this range will cave to the model that screws us....The euro is obviously dead wrong

NAVGEM is on board sorta. 4dvar ftw? The Canadian is now too isnt it? 

Going with whichever gives us the least snow is usually the best play.

I just went back 8 runs on the gfs. 18z today is by far the biggest outlier. I think an ots solution or even non event is possible but the euro had us snowing in 102 hours. And it's ensemble suite fully backed it up. This is weird

Defo wierd. When there is this much disparity between models at this time frame, it does not usually bode well for the outcome being the more snowy one. 

last 3 runs, after "our" storm didnt materialize, it brought a low up the coast and gave us rain...this run it doesnt even do that...the subsequent coastal never happens...

Shows that the models have no clue about the storm.  It's a good time to let others attempt to be heroes.   My guess is that the euro isn't right but who knows its ensembles seem to support it.   Fast flow with lots of shortwave usually doesn't result in amplification when there is little upstream ridging.  Still.......this pattern is such a tough one,  pretty much any of the solutions is still on the table though right now I'd bet against the Euro.  Glad I have the weekend off. If I was writing a CWG  article I'd be suitably non committal.  Lol, this pattern has me rambling and saying nothing of note.

Archived