Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty much OTS, but 'back in the day' I remember we loved when the Euro was wound up and the GFS was SE --- and that was in more of the Miller A type situation (I distinctly remember this with the Boxing Day Blizzard especitally) NOT comparing this storm to that, but the sentiment of having a wound up Euro and SE GFS.

Gfs takes a 996 just outside the benchmark. Temps would have bee fine. Just not sharp enough. It's very close to a big storm impacting our area

Nice seeing the cold temps for all, but 50 miles West and precip is an issue.  Have to hope for a wound up solution further West for a CCB.  Hoping we all win here and that seems to be the way...  Plenty of time.

The GFS looks like it is deepening the kicker too quickly entering the Midwest so the

the coastal gets going too far east. None of the other guidance has such a wound 

up low entering the GL.

Agreed, and this run was very close to bringing a hit for our region. The strength of the kicker in the GL area will determine how close the storm will be to the coast.

It's pretty much OTS, but 'back in the day' I remember we loved when the Euro was wound up and the GFS was SE --- and that was in more of the Miller A type situation (I distinctly remember this with the Boxing Day Blizzard especitally) NOT comparing this storm to that, but the sentiment of having a wound up Euro and SE GFS.

With respect to the Boxing Day Blizzard, the ECMWF and all other guidance abandoned the idea. The GFS led the way in abruptly returning to a big storm idea for several runs before the other guidance "rediscovered" the storm. The shift on the GFS was so sudden that HPC (now WPC) speculated that it had been suffering from feedback issues and dismissed it for a time.

Agreed, and this run was very close to bringing a hit for our region.

The speed which the high is exiting the coast ahead of the storm makes me nervous for 95 east. I would like to see

the 12z euro hold onto the HP longer over New England so the low can scoot out closer to the BM instead

of closer to the coast on the 0z ensembles and OP. The 12z NAM looked much like the 0z euro ensemble mean

at the end of the 12z run.

With respect to the Boxing Day Blizzard, the ECMWF and all other guidance abandoned the idea. The GFS led the way in abruptly returning to a big storm idea for several runs before the other guidance "rediscovered" the storm. The shift on the GFS was so sudden that HPC (now WPC) speculated that it had been suffering from feedback issues and dismissed it for a time.

I remember it vividly Don.  Was at lunch on Xmas eve and reading about Convective Feedback issues.  Perphaps not the perfect example because it was so wacky, but the idea of the GFS SE and Euro being wound up makes me feel good...

One thing is becoming apparent this will not be a major snowstorm here - so we can take that off the table - without a fresh cold HP to the north any track too close to the coast will produce snow to start then a changeover to mix/rain. Any track a little too far off the coast reduces the amount of precip significantly - the placement of the HP is critical in this situation the perfect track is still no good without a HP feeding in the cold air

The speed which the high is exiting the coast ahead of the storm makes me nervous for 95 east. I would like to see

the 12z euro hold onto the HP longer over New England so the low can scoot out closer to the BM instead

of closer to the coast on the 0z ensembles and OP. The 12z NAM looked much like the 0z euro ensemble mean

at the end of the 12z run.

I think the overall track will be in between the GFS/Euro. We need to monitor the strength of the Great Lakes kicker. If this feature is less amped expect a solution closer to the coast, if it is more amped like the gfs showed in this run the low will be shunted ots.

One thing is becoming apparent this will not be a major snowstorm here - so we can take that off the table - without a fresh cold HP to the north any track too close to the coast will produce snow to start then a changeover to mix/rain. Any track a little too far off the coast reduces the amount of precip significantly - the placement of the HP is critical in this situation

100% disagree. We can't take anything off the table at this time

One thing is becoming apparent this will not be a major snowstorm here - so we can take that off the table - without a fresh cold HP to the north any track too close to the coast will produce snow to start then a changeover to mix/rain. Any track a little too far off the coast reduces the amount of precip significantly - the placement of the HP is critical in this situation

The lack of blocking up north allows the hp to escape. Inland areas as usual will do fine. The coast will have problems with staying all snow, because of the position of the high will bring in slightly warmer air with the east/east-northeast winds. If however the storm rapidly develops the isallobaric component of the wind will gradually change surface winds to a more northerly component helping to keep colder air in for the coast. 

Archived