12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The southern stream comes out pretty amped the day before and the SE Ridge gets a little too pumped before

it turns the corner north. This pattern can't really handle amplitude especially when there is no decent block

near the Davis Strait and the PNA is negative.

attachicon.gif EDH101-96.gif[/

Having that trough retrograde into Alaska this week hasn't helped us . It's just hurt a nice ridge axis position that we had all year

WPC is Bullish on the mid - late week

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

149 AM EST SUN FEB 09 2014

VALID 12Z WED FEB 12 2014 - 12Z SUN FEB 16 2014

THE INLAND TRANSLATION OF PACIFIC AND NRN STREAM SHORTWAVES LEADS

INTO EMERGING CENTRAL TO ERN US WINTER LOW THREATS. THE DETAILS

OF SRN STREAM SYSTEMS ALOFT AND ANY EVENTUAL NRN STREAM

INTERACTION HAS RECENTLY LEAD TO QUITE AN UNCERTAIN ARRAY OF LOW

TRACK OPTIONS RANGING FROM SUPPRESSED STREAKS OF WINTER PCPN AND

SRN RAINS WITH LIMITED MOISTURE TO WELL DEVELOPED SERN TO EAST

COAST STORMS. LATEST GUIDANCE AND/OR TRENDS INDICATE THE

INGREDIENTS FOR POTENTIALLY WELL ORGANIZED WINTER PRECIPITATION

THREATS REMAINS WED-FRI INLAND TO THE SRN APPALACHIANS AND NEWD

ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC TO NEW ENGLAND ON THE NW PERIPHERY OF

FRONTAL/LOW FOCUSED PCPN SHIELDS. RECENT ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS

HAVE BEEN MOST SUPPORTIVE WITH LIFTING A COASTAL LOW UP OFF THE

ERN SEABOARD COMPARED TO CANADIAN ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND A SMALLER

BUT SLOWLY INCREASING NUMBER OF GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS. THE LARGE

SCALE PATTERN SEEMS REASONABLY FAVORABLE IF YOU CAN GET PAST

IMPULSE WAVELENGTH SPACING AND STREAM INTERACTION UNCERTAINTIES.

OVERALL AMID UNCERTAINTY...WPC SURFACE FRONTS/PRESSURE AND 500 MB

PROGS ALONG WITH ASSOCIATED SENSIBLE WEATHER GRIDS HAVE BEEN MOST

CLOSELY DERIVED FROM AN ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN AND WPC/NDFD

CONTINUITY BLEND. WPC GUIDANCE HIGHLIGHTS A QUITE WET NWRN US

NEXT WEEK...AN ORGANIZED SRN TO EAST COAST LOW THREAT WED TO

FRI...AND A NRN US TIER CLIPPER LOW/MODEST SNOW SWATH THU/FRI WITH

A SUBSEQUENT COLD AIRMASS SURGE DOWN INTO THE CENTRAL AND ERN US

IN THE WAKE OF SYSTEM PASSAGE.

SCHICHTEL

The OP euro may be too far west with the low inland, but even the ensemble track would be warmer than we would

like to see east of 95 as the ensemble mean has a decent SE Ridge ahead of the storm. 

We need a stronger low to produce a CCB. It will be harder for everything to come together in this setup.

This looks like a quick mover this morning now as well. Without much blocking this thing zips on out in a hurry. Wonder if people are still thinking this is a blockbuster because I'm not really seeing it. Avg miller a at best.

EURO op showed an inch of QPF plus this is coming straight out of the gulf. Moisture won't be an issue IMO.

This looks like a quick mover this morning now as well. Without much blocking this thing zips on out in a hurry. Wonder if people are still thinking this is a blockbuster because I'm not really seeing it. Avg miller a at best.

The yanksfan27 storm isnt looking all that great right now i must say ralph

The yanksfan27 storm isnt looking all that great right now i must say ralph

This is a useless post.

There is still a tremendous amount of potential here for most of us. Read the WPC and Mount Holly discussions. Look at some of the model solutions and trending.

IMO this has a chance to be quite memorable.

it looks ok but not a blockbuster

Not sure I understand this. An inch of QPF would yield a heck of a snow storm if the track waivers a bit. Yes, inland areas are favored right now, but with such dry air is place prior and the models still waivering anything can happen at this point.

Not sure I understand this. An inch of QPF would yield a heck of a snow storm if the track waivers a bit. Yes, inland areas are favored right now, but with such dry air is place prior and the models still waivering anything can happen at this point.

I define blockbuster as widespread 1 foot or greater totals. Still a little early to toss around totals but I don't see a blockbuster unless this stalls which it doesn't look like will happen without a block in place. This really is a thread the needle type setup with confluence pulling out along with hp.

I define blockbuster as widespread 1 foot or greater totals. Still a little early to toss around totals but I don't see a blockbuster unless this stalls which it doesn't look like will happen without a block in place. This really is a thread the needle type setup with confluence pulling out along with hp.

Last night's EURO dropped 12-18" of snow for Western & NNW PA & up through W NE, it definitely had some spunk to it. The storm trended stronger overnight, take a look at the 6z DGEX for an example of the storms potential. It is certainly a thread the needle, but it could still be a 8-14" for people especially the burbs if it works out right. 

it looks ok but not a blockbuster

why does practically every storm around here have to have the potential to be a blockbuster and some folks trying t do analysis on what needs to happen for it to be a blockbuster ?- there have only been 36 "blockbusters" 12 inches or more in NYC since 1869

Does Long Island still have a chance for 6-8 inches if everything could work out right ? The only thing I do not like is the high position not being classic, but can we pull of 31-32.5 degree snow for most of the event ??

where are you getting this potential for 6 - 8 inches ? why don't we just stick to analysing what the guidance is currently showing instead of trying to wishcast an event

The look of the nam at hr. 84 has a sloppy appearance to it. It looks like it wants to phase. The good news is that it's the nam at 84. We just need the northern stream energy to dig further.

Compared to the 06z run, which extrapolated on the DGEX showed a big hit, it looks more amplified and organized.

The look of the nam at hr. 84 has a sloppy appearance to it. It looks like it wants to phase. The good news is that it's the nam at 84. We just need the northern stream energy to dig further.

Good call yesterday with the lesser amounts for today. I'm starting to think the euro is looking good with its idea on the coast

for Wed.Without a high sitting to our north , I don't see how the coast doesn't change over .

I didn't weight the GFS that high because its just having problems over the last 24 hours with it , plus its natural error

Is to come N and W as we get closer.

Good call yesterday with the lesser amounts for today. I'm starting to think the euro is looking good with its idea on the coast

for Wed.Without a high sitting to our north , I don't see how the coast doesn't change over .

I didn't weight the GFS that high because its just having problems over the last 24 hours with it , plus its natural error

The airmass is quite marginal, the coast will need a lot to go right for there to be a lot of snow for them. A track offshore and a winding-up low may be enough, since cold air will be generated on the west side, but a hugger track means a big snow event well inland, maybe for the Appalachians for a change.

With the high moving to the east IMO the coast will have no problem changing over.

Archived