Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power still out. neighbor and myself spent the day clearing 4 trees that had fallen across the road and had become power line suspended. This in order to make our road passable and hopefully reduce PECOs repair time out here. We climbed ladders to top them on the far side then notched them in the middle to get them to drop into the road. Job done. No generator usage yet, perishables are in a cooler outside stuffed with snow and the deer meat freezer should be good until late tomorrow before needing power. Saving precious gas until completely necessary. We have a well so we are without water... so todays work funk lingers. bright side the woodstove is going downstairs and the fireplace as well so we are cozy and safe for now. Post frontal winds have me a bit concerned

Power came back for an hour here around 9:30, then cut off at 10:30, and then came back again 5 minutes later with a bang as a nearby transformer exploded.   Still up though...

Winds howling out of the NW and temp has dropped to 30.2 F.  Hope the power holds.  Sis is still out though (she's about 2 miles northwest of me).

Good luck to those still waiting!!

Power still out. neighbor and myself spent the day clearing 4 trees that had fallen across the road and had become power line suspended. This in order to make our road passable and hopefully reduce PECOs repair time out here. We climbed ladders to top them on the far side then notched them in the middle to get them to drop into the road. Job done. No generator usage yet, perishables are in a cooler outside stuffed with snow and the deer meat freezer should be good until late tomorrow before needing power. Saving precious gas until completely necessary. We have a well so we are without water... so todays work funk lingers. bright side the woodstove is going downstairs and the fireplace as well so we are cozy and safe for now. Post frontal winds have me a bit concerned

Sounds like you have a good setup. The stove is huge and why they are so worth it in rural areas. Don't forget the water you have in the HWH, use snow for the toilets unless they require a grinder pump. If you have an inverter that's always good to run pumps in a pinch. Done it off my truck to fill a few hundred gallons during sandy. Generators are a funny thing and you are right to conserve gas given you have the heat covered and lighting is simple with electric, candle power and lanterns. I have many generators for business and personal use and outside of the pre-wired NG or LP fueled solutions I have been helping many friends and family get setup with economical backup solutions using a simple manual transfer switch, honda 2000w inverter (you can pair them up or just buy one) and some simple wiring work. People think you need huge systems but it's amazing what you can do with 14 amps and economical gas requirements that are 10-20% of what the larger generac 5500w + units require.

Be safe! If you need help with the deer meat I would be happy to store it for you ;)

Of note - I melted down the ice that fell yesterday - we received 1.69" of liquid with all of that falling with temps below freezing. This in addition to the 10.3" of snow with a w.e. of 1.63" on Monday make the 8.0" of current snow/ice cover having 3.32" of liquid in it....don't think many models had either storm with that much liquid.....models continue to struggle with details this winter

Day 2 of no power here in NW Chesco - looking like sometime this weekend to be back on.   Woodstove cranking, stream for bucketing in

water for toilets, and feed the generator every 9 hours.    Learning the fine art of washing hair, shaving, and brushing teeth

using less than a gallon of water.    Estimating 500 trees down along the westbound turnpike between VF and Downingtown.

Of note - I melted down the ice that fell yesterday - we received 1.69" of liquid with all of that falling with temps below freezing. This in addition to the 10.3" of snow with a w.e. of 1.63" on Monday make the 8.0" of current snow/ice cover having 3.32" of liquid in it....don't think many models had either storm with that much liquid.....models continue to struggle with details this winter

Great point- now imagine a two- three inch rain on this snow pack. Flooding everywhere- including basements. I hope we get a slow steady melt or we are in real trouble. We need a three day stretch of 45 degree weather with lows above freezing- do not see this anytime soon

I've been wondering if we are on the same grid or whatever as the 4 garnet valley schools less than a mile from our house...I'm sure getting them powered up was a priority, so maybe we just lucked out? Hope you get some juice soon...

Thanks for the well wishes. Still no joy as far as power is concerned. Thankfully we have a generator running the well and powering the lights and the kitchen, and a fireplace to help with but the house is ...brisk! I swear I'm moving back to Nevada!

Great point- now imagine a two- three inch rain on this snow pack. Flooding everywhere- including basements. I hope we get a slow steady melt or we are in real trouble. We need a three day stretch of 45 degree weather with lows above freezing- do not see this anytime soon

Today's sun will be doing the slow melt as we are into that sun angle thing now.

I've been wondering if we are on the same grid or whatever as the 4 garnet valley schools less than a mile from our house...I'm sure getting them powered up was a priority, so maybe we just lucked out? Hope you get some juice soon...

Still no power here, got it for a second around 5:30 pm yesterday, heard a transformer blow at the same time, and no more power. Checking with Peco now says unable to provide estimated restoration times. I was afraid if we didn't make it with that first pass that we might go way down the list. Generator is working nicely, still cool in the house (not wired to boiler or air handler) - about 48F in here! Making do but it sure will be nice to get power back, plus work is taking a bit of a hit since I work from home.

Thanks for the well wishes. Still no joy as far as power is concerned. Thankfully we have a generator running the well and powering the lights and the kitchen, and a fireplace to help with but the house is ...brisk! I swear I'm moving back to Nevada!

Still no power here, got it for a second around 5:30 pm yesterday, heard a transformer blow at the same time, and no more power. Checking with Peco now says unable to provide estimated restoration times. I was afraid if we didn't make it with that first pass that we might go way down the list. Generator is working nicely, still cool in the house (not wired to boiler or air handler) - about 48F in here! Making do but it sure will be nice to get power back, plus work is taking a bit of a hit since I work from home.

i dunno,  maybe someone in my hood bribes peco execs on the reg? good luck, fellas...

Worcester, PA.   As of last evening 90% of Worcester was without power. Some came up late last night. Unfortunately for me they say 11 Pm Saturday. Generator powers well pump, refridge, freezer, a few lights and office area. Wood stove helps, but still a little cool in here.

Parts of the twp are still not accessible due to trees across roads.

Hoping Peco can improve on the schedule. Novelty has worn off.  Luckily it has not been terrible cold outside. 19 last night.

Power restored after 29 hours of being out.  Minimum house temp I found was 49.   We did sleep here last night and it was fine, but eating a breakfast snack was uncomfortable....hands getting very cold.

I will take a foot of snow over 1/2" of ice any day...

Hopefully we finish the winter with a couple decent snowfalls to get MBY over 40" for the winter.

I looked up my PECO status and it said they are unable to provide an estimated time they are going to restore my power. Half my township is without power but I think they aren't going to get to us until they help the harder hit areas.

I got my estimate this morning online at work.   They told me 11 pm Today but it was restored at noon,  11 hours ahead of the estimate.    For the online interface, I just "Googled" "PECO" and picked the sub-site labeled "Outage Center".  You enter your phone number and then the whacky security characters and it confirms your last 4 account # digits and first 4 digits of your house number.   It's a bit fussy and you might have to try several times, but it worked for me.

I got my estimate this morning online at work.   They told me 11 pm Today but it was restored at noon,  11 hours ahead of the estimate.    For the online interface, I just "Googled" "PECO" and picked the sub-site labeled "Outage Center".  You enter your phone number and then the whacky security characters and it confirms your last 4 account # digits and first 4 digits of your house number.   It's a bit fussy and you might have to try several times, but it worked for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they "overestimate" the restoration time, so that when its restored "early" everyone is happy with them ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if they "overestimate" the restoration time, so that when its restored "early" everyone is happy with them ;)

Setting achievable goals is the key to life. The power companies have gotten better handling these situations from a logistical and communications aspect. I found that it's the inventory draw downs that slow things up, especially when it comes to sub station repairs. The age of the local grid makes a big difference as well. Down the shore our power grid is held together by toothpicks it's so out dated and in need of upgrades. The crews from out if state laughed when they got here and had to go all retro 60's and 70's in the work.

Glad progress is being made stay warm and safe

P S E and G did the same thing after Sandy. No matter who called you were given the same time which was probably when they expected to have the last customer restored. 999999% of the people had their power back in advance tof the estimate they were giving everybody.

Archived