Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why the huge power outages in Philly and Chester and York and relatively nothing in Berks/Lehigh. We didn't get snow either

Didn't you get more sleet?  Sleet probably helped knock snow off the trees, where as in places that only or mainly got just freezing rain, the snow was effectively cemented to them, significantly increasing the weight gain from icing.

As far as comparisons to 1994...  certainly this has been a very bad winter.  Not quite as cold as 1994.  The ice storms in and of themselves, not as severe.  But this heavy wet snow followed quickly by ice was a badly timed double wammy.

Not sure you can call it the worst, as I'm sure it's a smaller percentage. Probably thousands more properties and accounts added over the last 20yrs.

when this ends up over 600k they'll be no problem calling it the worst winter outage

1994 certainly had more ice, around 1", however this current ice / residual snow combo on the trees is proving worse

Power on and no trees down on property, relief. The 8 days without power post sandy was an ordeal. Also had power out for 6 days from frankenstorm

32F and around .25" ice  

I am guessing the heavier rain rate late with temps warming to 30F avoided larger ice accrual and saved my bacon

agreed - this is just horrible. Very concerned people in more rural areas like mine may be out for quite a while....

when this ends up over 600k they'll be no problem calling it the worst winter outage

1994 certainly had more ice, around 1", however this current ice / residual snow combo on the trees is proving worse

Miraculously, I still have power even though the cable and internet have been out for hours. Had a half inch of sleet followed by close to a half inch of freezing rain in Spring Mount, PA. Temp nudged above freezing around 9:30 AM and is currently 33.5 degrees. The ice on trees and slush on paved surfaces is slow to melt up until now, so it's still pretty bad out there.

So PECO shows 84% of all customers in Chester County are without power - incredible!!

Paul stay safe my friend. And all others. Internet and cell phone service is very intermitten. Devastation out this way. 4 trees across our road in 1/8 mile. Just cut a neighbor INTO his house. I'm already putting my gas rationing plan into place. This is going to be a long one.

:shiver:  :shiver:  :shiver: OBS

32.4 F

Overcast with occassional ZR

Winds calm

All the blobs of snow fell off the deciduous trees and the trees are incased in ice.  The evergreens still have the glacial blobs on them and are still bent over.  Heard that PECO was up to 580,000 outages (record for ice storm outage).  Still no power here IMBY in NW Philly and across the border in Springfield Twp. Montco.   :shiver:  :thumbsdown:  :axe: 

Gov. Corbett giving a press conference right now. 750K power outages statewide.

Holding at 32F and ZR continues, ice unfortunately is still accruing here. I thought i would see melting during these peak sun hours 

Glenn mentioned winds this evening causing more problems. Local forecast has 9-11" mph winds tonight. Any mets want to give their thoughts on wind potential? Strong wind would cause future power outages

I took some great pictures will post when i get time

Holding at 32F and ZR continues, ice unfortunately is still accruing here. I thought i would see melting during these peak sun hours 

Glenn mentioned winds this evening causing more problems. Local forecast has 9-11" mph winds tonight. Any mets want to give their thoughts on wind potential? Strong wind would cause future power outages

I took some great pictures will post when i get time

Possible, usually would need it  a bit stronger than 10 mph to be extremely concerned. Refreezing will be an issue tonight. 

storm started as freezing rain and his not stopped. 32 and still going. looks to be atleast .75 of ice now on trees. one of the worst ice storms ive seen in a long time. im still not able to upload pics. just crazy how many trees look bear after all the branches have broken off.

in boothwyn?

Came in to work in King of Prussia - no power, no phone, no cable in NW Chesco.   Generator running and wood stove going.   Enough water running off the roof for the toilets.    Very sad the number of trees I've lost or will never recover from being doubled over.    Still sounds like a war zone with breaking trees sounding like gunshots.    Looks like a long haul on this one.

Might eclipse the 3 day outage we had with thunderstorms in the summer a few years ago.

Archived