Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet changed to freezing rain around 5 am, with 2" of sleet accumulation here in Metuchen (Edison area).  Been ZR for the last 30 minutes and it's currently 30F.  The ZR has compacted the sleet to about 1.5" of sleet/slush; there's maybe 1/8" of glaze on my car windows - hard to tell if the ZR is going to accumulate, per se, or just be absorbed by the snow/sleet that's everywhere - the rain is falling too heavily to accumulate well, is my guess. 

Craig Allen just said on 880 AM that he's seeing the warm-up stopping its northward progression and it starting to reverse, as the coastal low takes over (I had mentioned the same in my email an hour ago) and winds shift to the NE, bringing colder air back in.  If he's right about that and I have no reason to doubt him, much of Central Jersey from maybe Trenton to Perth Amboy and points north/west of there up to about 78 may hold onto freezing rain for longer than expected (same for SE PA north of about 276). 

I know I just went outside and it's still just 30F and sleet has mixed back in with the freezing rain, indicating a deeper layer of cold air is now in place near the surface (i.e., implying more cold air has moved back in). 

By the way, my 2" of sleet bring me to 40" for the season.  Woohoo!!

My 5 beech trees are taking a beating. The limbs that are normally 20' up are literally touching the ground so I'm not sure how much longer they have and a bunch of other branches are down. The two cherry trees are broken and my 30 arborvitaes are all snapped in half. Great.

The good news is that I have power for now, however it is a shallow victory because my neighborhood was shut off from 1030 last night until 4 this morning for a planned pole replacement. The PECO guys are crazy!

Archived