Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4-5 Snow, Ice, Sleet, Rain Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same to you Greg....this is as ugly as I have ever seen in the 11 years I have lived here - the combo of 10" of wet snow and then this ice is just a very unfortunate double whammy. Stay safe this may take a while to get back to normal - we did just get above freezing the past hour but really not melting off - still trees snapping periodically. Something tells me you could walk on the snow tonight and not sink an inch....

Paul stay safe my friend. And all others. Internet and cell phone service is very intermitten. Devastation out this way. 4 trees across our road in 1/8 mile. Just cut a neighbor INTO his house. I'm already putting my gas rationing plan into place. This is going to be a long one.

Some OBS here in the beleagured NW part of the city -

Temp 35.4 F (finally off the 32 just before it plummets back to the 20s...ugh)

Overcast with fog

Vis. down to about 1/2 mile

Winds calm

Still no power.  Sigh.  Good luck to all without power.  Just put some perishables from the fridge into a freezer chest with one of those frozen gel packs.  Freezer was stocked so that looks okay for now.

PECO estimates power return by 6pm for my area...god bless'em if they can make that happen...

Finally got connected, running my laptop and the fridge off a generator. What a day...this is why I'm not a big fan of ice storms.....lol. Mac, about 20 minutes ago the lights here came on for a second, so there is hope, and I agree, it would be amazing if we got power back by 6 pm. I thought it was, well, not reality based, but now I'm encouraged. Watch out for falling ice mini-avalanches if you're out under trees (I just got showered).

Finally got connected, running my laptop and the fridge off a generator. What a day...this is why I'm not a big fan of ice storms.....lol. Mac, about 20 minutes ago the lights here came on for a second, so there is hope, and I agree, it would be amazing if we got power back by 6 pm. I thought it was, well, not reality based, but now I'm encouraged. Watch out for falling ice mini-avalanches if you're out under trees (I just got showered).

just came back on!! You should be close

I have to admit, there was a lot more damage than I thought in North Wilmington. Roads are just wet, but there are branches down everyone, and multiple roads are closed. I didn't get a chance to measure, but I'd assume we got close to 1/4" of ice accretion.

Hopefully everyone gets power restored soon...can't believe how devastating this storm was, especially in Chester County.

I heard the severity of power outages was almost as bad as Sandy. Even though I didn't get the ice storm, I understand all of the trouble with down trees. Hurricane Sandy WEAKENED pretty much every tree, but nothing fell. Then, when the snow storm came through the week after, branches were breaking left and right. It was insane.

Archived