joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4th-5th Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes sense. Perhaps it is 5 inches. JSantana usually throws his Cliffside Park measurement up regularly. He is slacking today lol.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Bergen County always has the most screwed up snowfall totals? We have all these small towns on top of each other coming in with some pretty drastic differences in totals. 

Is it just me, or does it seem like Bergen County always has the most screwed up snowfall totals? We have all these small towns on top of each other coming in with some pretty drastic differences in totals. 

No that's very true. One of the January storms me & JSantana both reported 10 or 11 inches as did North Bergen and Fort Lee yet Ridgefield which is mere blocks away from me and North Bergen reported 6 which got published by NWS along with Fort Lee and North Bergen at the exact same time frame which is absurd. I send in my measurements often to NWS but of course have no control over what gets published.

No that's very true. One of the January storms me & JSantana both reported 10 or 11 inches as did North Bergen and Fort Lee yet Ridgefield which is mere blocks away from me and North Bergen reported 6 which got published by NWS along with Fort Lee and North Bergen at the exact same time frame which is absurd. I send in my measurements often to NWS but of course have no control over what gets published.

Yeah, I remember those totals out of Ridgefield and North Bergen. Ridiculous. I guess it just has to do with all the urbanization around here. Then when you're further up north you have to deal with all those towering trees like I had back in Norwood. With the premium on land around here, you're very hard pressed to have a nice open backyard ideal for taking measurements...especially in the southern 2/3rds of the county where most of the NWS publishes its totals. 

Yeah, I remember those totals out of Ridgefield and North Bergen. Ridiculous. I guess it just has to do with all the urbanization around here. Then when you're further up north you have to deal with all those towering trees like I had back in Norwood. With the premium on land around here, you're very hard pressed to have a nice open backyard ideal for taking measurements...especially in the southern 2/3rds of the county where most of the NWS publishes its totals. 

We also have a micro-climate here on the cliffs that messes things up particularly the swirling type winds we get in between the coop/condo towers and even in between homes due to properties being basically on top of each other and sitting on a 250 foot, exposed to the Hudson River cliff. In the windier/snowier coastals it is virtually impossible to get accurate measurements.

It's snowing here now.  We have a fresh coating on surfaces that were cleared off.

Steady light snow in Port Jefferson the last 50 minutes or so with a nice sound effect streamer in conjunction with the disturbance moving through...

Steady light snow in Port Jefferson the last 50 minutes or so with a nice sound effect streamer in conjunction with the disturbance moving through...

Tacked on about 2/10ths of an inch in evening light snow

So for the storm it was about 3.2"...and that includes accumulated sleet

Monthly total: 11.7"

Seasonal total: 44.2"

Current snow depth: 9.0"

Just under 10" on the ground here. This is a terrific base that should be able to survive well into February given the current outlook. 

... Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 10 am EST

Thursday... 

* locations... southeast New York... northeast New Jersey and 

southeast Connecticut.

* Hazard types... widespread black ice tonight into Thursday

morning as slush and standing water refreezes.

* Timing... into Thursday morning.

* Impacts... slippery conditions... especially on elevated 

roadways and untreated surfaces.

Precautionary/preparedness actions... 

A Winter Weather Advisory for freezing rain and black ice means

that freezing rain and black ice will cause travel difficulties.

Be prepared for slippery roads... and use caution while driving or

walking.

This morning at 9:30 our snow depth was 11".  I'll check it again tomorrow.  There is about 2.25" of water content in the snowpack.  Still quite a bit behind 2011 when we peaked close to 6" water equivalent in the snow pack.  Todays outcome bore a superficial resemblance to 2/1/2011, although that one had less snow/sleet (0.8" vs 3.1" today) and more ZR than this one.  Todays was easily the better of the two here, although both events had similar snowy outcomes in the Boston area.

To be honest, I am a little torn if I would have preferred more snow today.  I love loading a bunch of sleet into a snowpack.  Of course, now we need a thick layer of powder on top to complete the tapestry.

Season snowfall total here is now 40.6".

Archived