gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nam is pretty scary, shows a ton of ZR as the surface is just as cold as 18z but it's even warmer aloft, meaning less sleet, more ZR. If we stay in the 20s, then we're screwed.

Does the NAM still place the heaviest snow north of the NY/PA border, or does Northeast PA do better?

The city may get an ice storm, however just to the north up to POU better go to the store and get a generator. This is looking serious as for it is touch and go.

The snow still being stuck to a lot of the trees is a big worry for me. That should be able to soak up more of the rain and build up more ice.

I don't think Manhattan will have any problems but parts of other boroughs could that are less densely populated. The heat island might help most of NYC stay a little warmer.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where ZR accumulates on midtown streets.  Chunks of ice peeling off of buildings is another story.  You might want to wear a hardhat to work.

Perhaps all this worrying is for nothing as ice storms are extremely rare around here. I remember a couple years ago we had the most ice I can remember, and everything was caked in ice. First time I had to chisel away the ice from my car windows and the sidewalks and some of the secondary roads were a disaster. 

I don't think Manhattan will have any problems but parts of other boroughs could that are less densely populated. The heat island might help most of NYC stay a little warmer.

I've seen plain rain in southern Brooklyn, southern Queens, and lower Manhattan and ice on street signs/trees in midtown Manhattan from the same storm.

I wonder how the synoptics were here for VD 2007, which was a major icestorm right down to the beaches. I was in PA at the time and pelted by tons of sleet, but I remember the coastal redevelopment which was very close to the shore and there still was no changeover here until the very end to rain I was told. I know the preceding cold airmass was colder and there was more of a northerly component to the winds but I'm also getting a bad feeling about what's coming.

That's the storm that the cf was orientated more east west as it made it to wantagh but not long beach.

It's going to be hard to sleep tonight tomorrow should be the most interesting storm of the season! I'm going to glen head tomorrow afternoon which is about far north as you can get on li. Could be an interesting contrast

Archived