• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014

PennMan

Anyone without a generator or a coal or wood stove/furnace could be in real trouble if the ice scenario verifies...

Or a prius with a 1000+ watt inverter  :thumbsup:

Harbor freight sells them for about $90. To run an oil furnace, one merely needs to unhardwire (is that a word?) the furnace and add in a receptacle. When power goes out, flip the furnace breaker (critical. If you don't, when power returns you risk starting a fire, or you risk electrocuting linesmen who are trying to repair the lines), run a heavy duty extension cable from the inverter to the receptacle, start the car and you should be in business. This should work for most vehicles, it's just not nearly as efficient when using a non-hybrid.

Worked pretty well for this guy:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/04/ice_storm_2013_toyota_prius_powers_thornhill_mans_home.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a backup gen with coal stove I should be alright. Just hope the trending north slows down pretty soon.

We have nothing. We heat with oil, but of course the furnace needs electricity to fire. At least we have neighbors who have a coal stove and are VERY good friends, so we do have a place to go if we do lose power.

Why is the RUC showing less accum along the m-d line and the axis of heaviest precip north of there?  Could it be picking up on some temp issues down there??

Yes, I think that is what it is doing. The RUC is by far the most north of the models right now. A NAM / EURO / RGEM blend might be more realistic.

Why is the RUC showing less accum along the m-d line and the axis of heaviest precip north of there? Could it be picking up on some temp issues down there??

I don't know...what's interesting to me is that Eric Horst is calling for the heaviest snow north and west of Lancaster...AWAY from the southern border. He's banking on big mixing issues down toward the line.

Electric only. Though we have underground for most of the lines in town.

Edit: This stuff is going to be like paste.

Are you talking about the power lines in Millersville? If you are, most of the Borough is above ground but most of the University is underground and comes directly from the substation on Centennial Drive across from Burrowes Hall. So as long as those transmission lines hold from wherever they come from (Holtwood? Safe Harbor? Conowingo?) the campus may not lose power. This configuration likely contributed to the fact that the power on campus never even flickered once during Sandy.

Are you talking about the power lines in Millersville? If you are, most of the Borough is above ground but most of the University is underground and comes directly from the substation on Centennial Drive across from Burrowes Hall. So as long as those transmission lines hold from wherever they come from (Holtwood? Safe Harbor? Conowingo?) the campus may not lose power. This configuration likely contributed to the fact that the power on campus never even flickered once during Sandy.

I live off campus but I think your right in that MU's power comes from Safe Harbor off the Conestoga HV line.

PAZ033>036-064>066-030815-
/O.UPG.KCTP.WW.Y.0007.140203T0500Z-140203T2100Z/
/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.W.0003.140203T0500Z-140203T2100Z/
SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG...
CHAMBERSBURG...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER
506 PM EST SUN FEB 2 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 4 PM
EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT
TONIGHT TO 4 PM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO
LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...EXTREME SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON MONDAY. THE
HEAVIEST SNOW WILL LIKELY FALL BETWEEN 5 AND 11 AM.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY FOR THE
MORNING COMMUTE.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

Archived