Newest Member
    amirah5
February 8-10 Snow Event

Hoosier

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sure?

I'm showing (per DTW's QPF reports on Weather Underground) that at least 0.76" of the total 1.6" in QPF fell as rain, maybe more as there's a period where there was a sloppy mix of rain/sleet/snow. 

Well on 2/26, the total precip was 1.19" with total snowfall for the day 2.5". Of that, per obs...0.10" fell as plain rain, 0.53" fell as a mix of rain, sleet and snow (though at this point it was more rain), and 0.56" as plain snow. The on the 27th it was 0.38" precip and 4.0" snow, but over half of that snow was in the evening with a higher ratio snow which continued into early the 28th.

So if Im remembering it correctly...

0.10" - rain

0.56" - mix

0.77" - snow (3.5")

brief break

0.23" - snow (3.6")

Regardless it was a case of irony as that was a winter of fluff then we got slush to end all slush.

Well on 2/26, the total precip was 1.19" with total snowfall for the day 2.5". Of that, per obs...0.10" fell as plain rain, 0.53" fell as a mix of rain, sleet and snow (though at this point it was more rain), and 0.56" as plain snow. The on the 27th it was 0.38" precip and 4.0" snow, but over half of that snow was in the evening with a higher ratio snow which continued into early the 28th.

So if Im remembering it correctly...

0.10" - rain

0.56" - mix

0.77" - snow (3.5")

brief break

0.23" - snow (3.6")

Regardless it was a case of irony as that was a winter of fluff then we got slush to end all slush.

FWIW, I didn't even count that stuff on late 2/27/13 in my earlier post.

I find it strange that the daily total is 0.38" for 2/27/13, yet just calculating the early morning stuff and excluding the late afternoon fluff, I calculated total QPF of 0.41". Any explanation for that?

Also, I'm pretty certain that we didn't begin mixing over on 2/26/13 until around 4:30-5 PM based on my recollection and the observations in the storm thread (and it was only a brief period of rain/snow/sleet mix). Everything before that was a cold rain. 

FWIW, I didn't even count that stuff on late 2/27/13 in my earlier post.

I find it strange that the daily total is 0.38" for 2/27/13, yet just calculating the early morning stuff and excluding the late afternoon fluff, I calculated total QPF of 0.41". Any explanation for that?

Also, I'm pretty certain that we didn't begin mixing over on 2/26/13 until around 4:30-5 PM based on my recollection and the observations in the storm thread (and it was only a brief period of rain/snow/sleet mix). Everything before that was a cold rain. 

good catch on the 2/27. Too late to change that now :lol:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDTW/2013/2/26/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

according to this it was all rain from noon-3pm, rain mixed with some snow/sleet 4-5pm, then all snow.

Regardless what I remember is how we were racking up those fluffy snowfalls like no ones business last year, and I was happy to be seeing a wet snow. It began sticking immediately at changeover, yet it kept snowing and was just not piling up. Not a fan of that storm.

Plenty of time for that one to change for the better. 

I was kinda surprised how far north the precip is on the precip plots considering the surface low is south of New Orleans at 144 hours and really not much of an inverted trough signature.  There's light stuff all the way up toward I-80.

06z GFS is much better for a good portion of the region, less confluence to our northeast and the primary low makes it into southern Ohio. Certainly a better outcome than the 00z which plowed east northeast The low track is more north northeast from southern MS to southern OH. Eventually it does transfer to the coast which is to be expected but overall it is a favorable change for many here. What this says to me overall though is that we should expect higher than normal model volatility until we probably get much closer to the event itself.

south and east is clearly the way to go at this point, split stream with limited interaction over the central plains/western lakes isn't going anywhere.

Yeah this is a southern stream wave that will be ejecting northeast, if/when it were to phase significantly with the northern stream it would explode considering the strength of the southern stream wave. The key is the ridge placement and location ahead of it to give the eastern parts of the region something of significance. The fact that the GFS which is usually flatter in these situations should raise an eyebrow over the potential.

Archived