12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radar shows subsidence quite well over the mid Cape and Nantucket, MA as a convectively enhanced snow band to the east just sits there and pivots in place sparing CHH and ACK anything more significant for today. Winter Storm Warning in effect really covers basically what has already fallen. My dad said there is about 5-6" of snow in the colder locations. Temps are right around 32f, Td = 31f. I expect the heavier precip to stay offshore still. Band just does not want to move. Looking at visible and infrared satellite imagery, cooling cloud tops continue to move towards the Cape and eastern SNE. Storm looks to have stalled some, if it was just about 10-20 miles further west, Cape Cod, MA would have seen about a foot of snow by now and heavier snows to come. However storm has to behave this way and sit a tad too far east. At least I have received 4" of snow. That is more than I can say expected after last night's weather reports.

messenger, what are we talking when it comes to the potential snows backing into the region after midnight? A few inches? or something more?

The heaviest snow band wants to continue to back westward some. Cold cloud tops are really blossoming to the ese of Nantucket right now, moving westward. This looks quite interesting if we can get those convectively enhanced cloud tops into the region, should provide the necessary lift to overcome the warmer surface temps and allow for heavier accumulations.

What does the EURO show for accumulations tonight?

Yeah that's true and we've discussed that here...but unless we see heavier snows coming in the plan is to hold off.

:gun_bandana:

The main roads aren't bad yet fwiw. Some snow in the middle and on the side, but travel lanes are wet to slushy. I think the snow being rather dry is allowing it to melt a little and for the salt to do its thing. The side streets are definitely snow covered.

Archived