• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
jamesnichols1989

At around this time 9 years ago on exactly this date a blizzard became apparent to break all time snowfall records for the eastern MA shoreline, including the Cape.  35" of snow was reported from my front yard, not even the jackpot with this monster blizzard as Plymouth, MA came in with 38" as well as Salem, MA.  One of the biggest blizzards to hit SNE, in the same class as the Blizzard of 78, in terms of wind and snow fall rates ranked up there with the best of them.  Blizzard of 78 out dueled the blizzard in terms of coastal flooding and duration as this storm never had the duration needed for 48" of snow, but nevertheless we got our blizzard.  This thread is being opened to discuss what this blizzard meant for you 9 years ago and recall the greatest single storm for Cape Cod.  Winds gusted over 70mph and this was by far the greatest of greats at least in my lifetime (24 years).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I was young when this happened. Time flies. I had travel basketball games on the cape the day before I believe, and all the talk was bout the blizzard.

It was great IMBY, the amount of snow I saw was something that wasn't rivaled until last year.

If I'm correct, that was the last wide scale blizzard until last year. Just awesome memories from this one though, nothing better as a kid

That storm was a NYC on south special until about 48 hrs out when the old ETA model brought it north. 36 hes out and it became a blockbuster on the models.

I remember DT talking about this was a lower ma hit. Finally the euro about 5-6 days out locked in and I recall well his post..."no 50/50 low, storm going north, I'm going to blow my brains out"....

Euro looked sweet MLK day. I go into work the following Friday telling everyone were getting a huge blizzard. They all say they're hearing 1-3. I told then that by the time they go home tonight the hype machine will be full blast.

Meanwhile, in the background was a planned trip with my family to Chicago. I bald faced bailed....could not miss this blockbuster. What a great storm! Guidance trended better and better right up to the event itself. Then a few days later a potent clipper. A great winter that was!

You said it best - You knew before this storm started that you were About to Witness History.  Just like in 2013.  Same Level.  

27", 4th Best at the time, now 5th Best All-Time.  

I remember that I was with college friends at the Cheesecake Factory the Saturday a week before the storm and we were standing outside when one of the kids in the group (a Trombone player) told me "Hey Cory, you're the weather guy, I heard there's going to be a Big Storm this weekend, like Big.", to this day, I still don't know where he heard that from as from my knowledge this storm wasn't modeled That well That far beforehand.  But some met on TV Clearly said it cause ho else would he talk about it.  I just thought it was a Clipper at that point.  

I remember during the week, waking up (I didn't watch models back then) and sneaking to the lobby where we had one computer in this weird metal box for the whole floor and checking the NWS website.  I didn't want to wake my roommate up (we all used to stay up Very late on that floor, was am amazing year), so I'd go out there.  I got a reputation for being the weather guy cause anyone that would walk by would always see weather stuff that I was looking at.  HEY!  It was the Winter of 2004-2005!!  What do you Expect!  #1 Overall at 122"!  I Remember the First snowfall that year in November because I had my bed backed up against the window and I laid my head there and opened the window, letting the snow fall on me for that storm.  Remember it like it was a minute ago.  

So the day before the storm, I'm getting my stuff ready to head home on the train, I look at the NWS and BAM!  Blizzard Warnings are going up, and the forecast is for 20"-20", Well upped form the day before which was only 10"-20".  I was ecstatic.  BUT, I wake up early the next day and run to that old computer, and BAM BAM!  "....20"-30" with amounts in Northern RI possibly at 2 to 3 Feet...."  AHHHHHHHH!!  (Which verified by the way).  I went home and went to Ronnie Catano's house, God I still remember all of that.  He was a friend of my dad's near the South Attleboro Train Station and he said Come On we'll just go see him quickly, but I wanted to get home.  I was frantically on my phone as I had Just gotten internet on my Windows phone for the first time months earlier.  That was a new thing!  

I turned on the Weather Channel and Could Not believe it; One of the Only time ever (until it's now become a media weather whore) that it WASN'T Conservative - Storm Total of 26" - 34".  I remember it vividly.  (ALSO, Verified).  It began to snow and I ran home and Finished Chute with Nick (CN Mountain, now you get it), one of our famous trails today.  It was a trail that had to be Massively engineered with much wood.  And we finished it just as we hit 2" of snow.  A Great memory - Finishing a new trail as a historic storm begins.  

That night, I remember rocketing to 18" when we had a 30 minute period of 4" per hour, but we never did anything like Feb. 7th, 2003.  Which I'm happy about, because that storm will always stand on its own to me, as small as it was.  

The next day (I hardly got sleep like in 2013) we started sledding early even though the snow hadn't stopped (Usually a Rule I have at CN Mountain), and remember running to the snow board Constantly and remember when we hit 24".  I ran down to the guys and said via Napolan Dynomite - "I GOT YOUR 24 PIECE SET RIGHT HERE!"  The first since the Great April Fool's Day Blizzard 8 years earlier.  

Had about 22.5" on the ground at the end.  27" Storm Total.  What a 2 day period.  I'll never forget it.  I Skipped school the rest of the week and everyone did and I HAVE MUCH Footage from all the sledding that week.  I retired my blue sled which got damaged on a jump we built on Gateway.  Still have it, all broken and such.  What helped the school cancellations as everyone remembers is that we had an 8.5" storm on the Wednesday JUST as Boston was done clearing the snow from the Blizzard.  Now, they had no where to put it, and maybe we had class Friday at NEC, But I stayed home.  8 days of Straight Sledding.  It was beyond Special.  It was, The Blizzard of 2005 Week.  

On it's way to a Record Breaking 122".  

Musically and Snowily - 

Cory Pesaturo  "The Snowman"  

I honestly don't remember this storm.  In 2005 I was at UMass Lowell and cold and snow was just a nuisance to be suffered until pitchers and catchers report / springtime starts.

Now I look forward to Winter all year long.  Spring and Fall especially don't interest me.  At least the summer time has annual hiking, swimming, clam-bake, and river-rafting traditions, but Winter is where its at!

Incidentally, anyone know what the impact was for the Lowell, MA area?

Beast. Even though i admit i had a mini meltdown. Living in NJ thought this was it until a day before when media outlets said the transfer would happen too late. Miller Bs forever engraved in my mind as highly volatile.

When i saw the pics and reports come in from SE SNE, in awe... i couldnt believe what places like cape cod looked like.

Archived