northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what a crazy turn of events the last 24 hours. One day ago, I would have laughed if anyone told me that we'd be staring down a SECS for Tuesday. Great timing with this wave-there's no kicker behind it, no lead wave to steal from the developing low, it amplifies nicely and takes a track perfect for most of us as it deepens. The PV also gets out of the way enough to allow this to climb up the coast. Right now I'd say many of us will approach the amounts we saw on 1/2, maybe even exceed it to the northwest of the city. Looking like a 6-10" type event for the metro area and SE with helpful ratios on 0.5" or so liquid (RGEM though would be over a foot if it's right), maybe 4-6" 50 miles or more northwest of the city.

End result is still about the same for this area. 0.50"+ line to about the city. Rest of us 0.25"+ except southern NJ and Long Island which is all 0.50"+.

The GFS looked really close to being an RGEM type solution-it maxes out just a little too late and the heaviest snow is just offshore and later brushes Cape Cod. But that 500mb vort track is great for us and it looks very intense-this could be a fun event for most of us.

People should ignore QPF outputs and focus on what's going on with the mid-levels. Anyone can read a QPF output map. This has major snow storm written all over it. As always it's going to come down the exact placement of the best banding. I think a general 4-8"+ is a good call right now with the potential for 12"+ wherever those bands setup.

The GFS also nearly stalls the system as it begins to pull away, that will need to be watched.

Qpf on the gfs and nam are now identical..0.49" at ewr and NYC

Honestly the way you guys were talking I thought it was going to be 1.00"+ lol

Aloft is great...with the heavier precip just offshore, we just need a minimal shift now to get closer to .70 or so....then u also have the banding which should be nice due to lapse rates as blue pointed out

Archived