Newest Member
    northernriwx
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He means 12/25/02

That was a pleasant surprise. I was supposed to get mostly rain with no accumulating snow. I ended up with 6 inches of snow.

I found the SLP for the 12z UKMET and it is stronger and more compact than the 0z which was weaker and more spread out. I can't find the QPF but it's safe to say there is more qpf on the 12z run.

Lets see what the Euro shows. It has been lost this winter.

We didn't do that well in 06 compared to central park. I think around 18"

2006 had a core superband that set up right over NYC.

This may have something similar. The look is very impressive, and the chances of 12" in the city are increasing. I think final amounts for the region may end up between 10-16", with the heaviest totals over Long Island. 

gfs_z500_uv_vort_east_15.png

This really argues for the max on the ARCTIC boundary to be closer to the coast ,

On another note , whatever they did to the Euro a few years back , they should undo . its gona miss its 2nd EC snowstorm

inside 3 days  in the same month .

And day 9 and day 11..I've never seen a better gfs run in my life in the medium to long range[/quot

I did a post last week it in the Jan discussion it was an 18z run of the gfs. The 0z run showed the torch showed a system every 2 days for next week. And I said that's great but obviously wrong It really was

Was onto the pattern

My earlier post that if the GFS scenario was to come fruition your talking more than .75" for LI/NYC. A vertically stacked and 18hr.+ system that looks like it can create some intense banding should produce lollipops of 12"+ handily. December 25, 2004 for me proved what banding can do for you in a short time

It's always for a lot of these coastal storms that we've had and get due to our unique location.  Often times in storms like these you can be underwhelmed for a few hours and then boom, you can pick up 6 inches in around 2-3 hrs time.  If we don't see a sudden failure in the model predictions on the strength and track, I'd be really stunned if a few locations even spread out don't pick up a foot. Based on the location/evolution of the storm, I think a good chunk of NJ is sitting pretty with LI in a prime spot to get some really intense snowfall rates.  We just do well based on these type of depictions (provided it doesn't change too much).

A few things to talk about as we head toward crunch time here. First of all, we are now starting to see a model consensus for around .5" QPF in most areas east of EWR, but more the farther east you go. The sudden jump to a consensus on most guidance suggests any variance from here on out should be small.

There is a developing signal for very impressive banding from PHL to NYC and guidance has been hammering that away the last run or two including higher resolution stuff. The saturated profiles and very impressive vertical velocities suggest 1-2" per hour rates are possible in all likelihood as this and forms and moves northeast. I would not at all be surprised if there were some high totals inside this banding.

As is always the case with these type of events there is going to be a subsidence zone and likely lower QPF to the NW of it. So somebody is going to get screwed and it will probably be NW NJ. More often than not there is a frontogenic band on the NW side of the modeled heaviest QPF.

All of that said...it looks like great times are ahead. Get your sleep tonight.

post-6-13902375493.jpg

The banding looks worlds better for this storm then 1-3

it does look slightly better.. IM in hoboken so still somewhat outside of the heaviest banding as I was on that storm, but for areas south of me and LI it looks great..

It is worlds better on every model, with the mid level centers closed off south of Long Island.

A few things to talk about as we head toward crunch time here. First of all, we are now starting to see a model consensus for around .5" QPF in most areas east of EWR, but more the farther east you go. The sudden jump to a consensus on most guidance suggests any variance from here on out should be small.There is a developing signal for very impressive banding from PHL to NYC and guidance has been hammering that away the last run or two including higher resolution stuff. The saturated profiles and very impressive vertical velocities suggest 1-2" per hour rates are possible in all likelihood as this and forms and moves northeast. I would not at all be surprised if there were some high totals inside this banding. As is always the case with these type of events there is going to be a subsidence zone and likely lower QPF to the NW of it. So somebody is going to get screwed and it will probably be NW NJ. More often than not there is a frontogenic band on the NW side of the modeled heaviest QPF. All of that said...it looks like great times are ahead. Get your sleep tonight. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390237549.375899.jpg

Looks like eastern nassua on east gets into some intense banding for sure! WOW that looks amazing!

It is worlds better on every model, with the mid level centers closed off south of Long Island.

I'm thinking there could be some 12" totals with this in spots if the mid level centers close off like that. Those are some crazy dynamics, and the storm should last quite a while (early afternoon Tuesday to maybe pre-dawn Wednesday)

While I'm not as model or meteorologically savvy as you are, that setup and those UVV maps depicted in my lifetime has almost always produced impressive banding snowfall for our area John (Union County).  Depending of course on the setup of those fronto bands you referenced.

A few things to talk about as we head toward crunch time here. First of all, we are now starting to see a model consensus for around .5" QPF in most areas east of EWR, but more the farther east you go. The sudden jump to a consensus on most guidance suggests any variance from here on out should be small. There is a developing signal for very impressive banding from PHL to NYC and guidance has been hammering that away the last run or two including higher resolution stuff. The saturated profiles and very impressive vertical velocities suggest 1-2" per hour rates are possible in all likelihood as this and forms and moves northeast. I would not at all be surprised if there were some high totals inside this banding. As is always the case with these type of events there is going to be a subsidence zone and likely lower QPF to the NW of it. So somebody is going to get screwed and it will probably be NW NJ. More often than not there is a frontogenic band on the NW side of the modeled heaviest QPF. All of that said...it looks like great times are ahead. Get your sleep tonight. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390237549.375899.jpg

NAM has steep 5-7H lapse rate of 6.9 C/km for NYC tomorrow evening. Supports thundersnow.

11l5xtk.jpg

A few things to talk about as we head toward crunch time here. First of all, we are now starting to see a model consensus for around .5" QPF in most areas east of EWR, but more the farther east you go. The sudden jump to a consensus on most guidance suggests any variance from here on out should be small. There is a developing signal for very impressive banding from PHL to NYC and guidance has been hammering that away the last run or two including higher resolution stuff. The saturated profiles and very impressive vertical velocities suggest 1-2" per hour rates are possible in all likelihood as this and forms and moves northeast. I would not at all be surprised if there were some high totals inside this banding. As is always the case with these type of events there is going to be a subsidence zone and likely lower QPF to the NW of it. So somebody is going to get screwed and it will probably be NW NJ. More often than not there is a frontogenic band on the NW side of the modeled heaviest QPF. All of that said...it looks like great times are ahead. Get your sleep tonight. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390237549.375899.jpg

I could see NW NJ getting 5-8 inches. If this getting screwed, I am okay with this on my end.

Archived