12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weatherpruf and Bluewave are saying that the storm was severely underestimated and it took until the event started to understand what was really going to happen.

No I remember it pretty well. Lloyd Lindsay young was predicting 9-12" a couple days before

Maybe south and east were supposed get less but I definitely remember going to school expecting a really big storm (biggest since 2/83)

That was 1-22-87. Didn't come out of nowhere but snowed 1-2" an hour from 10am to 4pm so it caused traffic nightmares

I had a 4 hour drive from Garden City to Long Beach with thundersnow in that one that was supposed to be

snow to rain. Finished up with 9 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground in Long Beach.

I don't think blizzard warnings are necessary for most of the forecast area. The low is not that strong at 988mb passing east of the benchmark; the banana high is around 1024mb stretching from the Upper Midwest into Ontario. It would be very hard to verify those criteria three hours in a row with a pressure gradient of only 36mb and the low fairly far east except for perhaps extreme coastal sections of LI.

I like my location in Southern Brooklyn for this storm. The low pressure still looks to pass east of the Benchmark on the 12z ECM and GFS. I think the coastal areas will receive the majority of the banding, maybe even CSI/thunder snow. Could be subsidence to the west.

Pattern looks to support a Miller B threat Monday perhaps a bigger storm later. 12z GFS has a late forming low Monday that looks to dump 4-8". PV remains in place with the -EPO and there's potential to get below 0F Sunday and again in the long range.

The 15Z SREFs is very impressive.

A lot of models are trying to tuck the low into the coast from 36-39 hours, which the SREF shows with the spread towards Cape May NJ. There is limited time to do so, however, as a kicker in the northern stream is arriving by 42 hours. The shortwave behind the storm should limit amplification and thus restrict totals to the 8-12" amounts, keeping this a notch below a historic storm.

Archived