• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Northern Lights in Southern New England? Jan. 8-9

Cloudsncontrails

Has anyone here in SNE ever seen the northern lights?  I've always wanted to see them...

I've seen them in the boundary waters/Quetico provincial park on a canoe trip at 2 different times. The 1998 version was spectacular. We'd find a slot pitch our tents. Have dinner, find a spot on a rock and enjoy the show.

I assume it's similar to start watching where you should try and be far away from city lights? Or does that not matter.

Yeah you will want to be as far from light pollution as possible and look north. Since we are so far down from where they typically appear, they will be lower on the horizon and I'm assuming they will be dim here if they are visible.

I have heard tonight around midnight to dawn sometime and then again tomorrow evening. This is the prediction site. http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/

Doesn't look good based on that map...

I just went outside, there are quite a few clouds around too. Tomorrow evening and night may yield better results.

Ugh, looks like they may have been visible all the way down to the sound, but the cloud cover is hurting our chances.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

CME has arrived per SWPC. Any aurora tonight?

I have an app on my phone that say the Kp will be 4 between 23:30 and 02:30, so it looks like we probably won't see it here according to that Kp value as I understand the charts. Kind of disappointing if that holds for such a large flare.

The good news is that the sun is in the middle of an active cycle, so hopefully we will have some more opportunities this year, although I may need to head north to see them better.

Archived