northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a hard map to figure out as to what will happen in the 10-15 day outlook and beyond.  But here is what the GFS ensemble means show for the average 500mb heights in the 10-15day period.  Its obvious that the AO is going strongly negative as shown by the higher heights over the pole region,  that's a cold signal for the northern US in most cases.  I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow, but right now I'm having a hard time visualizing the winds in this pattern.....Thoughts anyone?

First guess is that the lower heights over Alaska being slightly stronger than the above normal heights over the SW US would tend to keep the warmer air locked over the SW US. The question I have is this.  Is it more likely to keep most of the Upper Mississippi Valley and the Great Lakes area below normal through March 1st?   I am leaning to that solution.gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_3.png

This is a hard map to figure out as to what will happen in the 10-15 day outlook and beyond.  But here is what the GFS ensemble means show for the average 500mb heights in the 10-15day period.  Its obvious that the AO is going strongly negative as shown by the higher heights over the pole region,  that's a cold signal for the northern US in most cases.  I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow, but right now I'm having a hard time visualizing the winds in this pattern.....Thoughts anyone?

gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_3.png

Has the rare -PNA/-NAO ( ridge over Greenland ) combo look. Very few winters have had the -AO/-PNA/-NAO combo. Would be very active across most of the country.

Has the rare -PNA/-NAO ( ridge over Greenland ) combo look. Very few winters have had the -AO/-PNA/-NAO combo. Would be very active across most of the country.

I'm not sure that has -PNA look, the trough doesn't dig that for south.  Besides you have the axis of the trough well off the western coast of the US, while it may be a -Pacific North American Oscillation signal,  you have to look at how far west the trough is located.  I'm still leaning for below normal temps over most of this subfourm in the 10-15 day period, and beyond lasting into the first week of march

Live by an index, die by an index. If the -PNA = warm humpers were correct, we'd being furnacing since late October. There's a lot more to it than just charts and graphs.

Actual PNA index at the top.

attachicon.gifpna.png

indices are like fashion trends....  What's hot, what's not.   Stratospheric warming?  MJO?  PNA?  AO?  NAO?   This season it's the EPO that's fashionable.

It'll be a long time before we ever see something like that again.....mid 90's into Michigan in March, unreal

Mid 90s !?!?!!

Wow!!!

We almost hit 80 at YYZ. I couldn't believe it.

I admit that it felt so weird... seeing not a leaf on a tree but it felt like summer. What an event. March was warmer than April!

Never been a foot plus storm in Toronto in March in my lifetime...but there've been some decent 6-10" type events. March 2008 near blizzard comes to mind.

March 23rd 2011 snowstorm was a good one. 10-20cm over most of southern ontario. But in a stripe of heavier snow from western lake ontario into the waterloo area saw 20-30cm of heavy wet snow 

Never been a foot plus storm in Toronto in March in my lifetime...but there've been some decent 6-10" type events. March 2008 near blizzard comes to mind.

What did Toronto get with the April 2005 storm?  That was incredible here to get 15" toward the end of April.

Typically big seasons like this like to go out with a bang.  March 2008 Blizzard (though it mostly missed IMBY) and April 2009 (~10" storm IMBY).  April 2005 (15" IMBY).  All of these were ~90-105" winters IMBY (well my old place in White Lake that is).

Mid 90s !?!?!!

Wow!!!

We almost hit 80 at YYZ. I couldn't believe it.

I admit that it felt so weird... seeing not a leaf on a tree but it felt like summer. What an event. March was warmer than April!

It was really torchy but I don't remember mid 90s into Michigan.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What did Toronto get with the April 2005 storm?  That was incredible here to get 15" toward the end of April.

Typically big seasons like this like to go out with a bang.  March 2008 Blizzard (though it mostly missed IMBY) and April 2009 (~10" storm IMBY).  April 2005 (15" IMBY).  All of these were ~90-105" winters IMBY (well my old place in White Lake that is).

Toronto just doesn't have the elevation for the late season snows. There have been numerous late season snowstorms that give the surrounding areas up on the niagara escarpment 10+cm of snow in april but down by the lake its a general 2cm if that. Early april is a bit different but still difficult to get a good one. 

Toronto just doesn't have the elevation for the late season snows. There have been numerous late season snowstorms that give the surrounding areas up on the niagara escarpment 10+cm of snow in april but down by the lake its a general 2cm if that. Early april is a bit different but still difficult to get a good one. 

Interesting ... I didn't know that.

Archived