• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

Euro is going to completely flatten this later potential. I don't buy the amount of confluence left behind this Feb 4-5 system, it would make more sense if it were a huge system to leave some confluence behind but Euro isn't overly spectacular with it. Euro is really falling from grace lately.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CFS weeklies for the next 4 weeks are for below normal temps and above normal precip, and the CFS for March is more of the same. That model needs to be taken with a grain of salt whether its June or January a week out or 6 months out. But its just crazy to think about. I that comes close to fruition, not only are we rewriting the history books, we may even give a few of that winter of 1780 or whatever it was a run for its money lmaosmiley.gif

The CFS weeklies for the next 4 weeks are for below normal temps and above normal precip, and the CFS for March is more of the same. That model needs to be taken with a grain of salt whether its June or January a week out or 6 months out. But its just crazy to think about. I that comes close to fruition, not only are we rewriting the history books, we may even give a few of that winter of 1780 or whatever it was a run for its money lmaosmiley.gif

I seriously hope that's wrong, I know some here would extend winter and snowstorms into June if they could, but I'm already starting to look at the long range with that feeling where a torch would make me just as happy as a snowstorm....pretty soon the former will start making me happier.

Models struggle with pattern changes ... you know I hope the cold continues.

If there's ever a year to hope for a late Spring, it's this one. I think it would be real interesting to see how long we could keep snowcover and iced over lakes with a cold Spring since we have such thick ice on the lakes and deep snowcover over a large portion of the northern US.

Very true ... I will admit that by the end of March I will be ready for Above normal temps but I would love the cold and snow to continue well into March this year!

Have been paying attention to the EURO and GFS in the medium to long term period. From what I can see it looks like things start to shift around towards Valentines Day. We're losing our cold teleconnections one by one and the 0z run of the EURO shows a severing of the cross polar flow.

Cold starts gathering in Alaska & NW Canada next week.

post-7389-0-13025200-1391376098_thumb.pn

Bubble of above normal temperatures starts to expand north of our sub forum.

post-7389-0-54124200-1391376111_thumb.pn

By Days 12-15 the warmer anomolies have expanded while Alaska gets put into the freezer. Below normal temps across the eastern US are likely due to the snow cover that will be present.

post-7389-0-45709200-1391376125_thumb.pn

The 12z EURO today shows the shift as well in the same time frame.

210 > 240 hours

post-7389-0-54085300-1391369846_thumb.pn

If this comes to pass then it is going to be a horrible failure by the CFS.

To be honest, I would prefer it if February ended up below normal temperature-wise. I can't remember the last time that every month between November and February ended up below normal in these parts.

The long range isn't looking all that cold for my area though. I'm wondering if I'll get down to -5F one last time?

The long range forecasters on the New England thread have been talking about the possible development of a -NAO and possible period of +PNA to prevent an all out torch even as the EPO goes positive (trough in Gulf of Alaska), but expect this to again only be a brief relaxation of the prevailing -EPO. Also keep in mind that February only has 28 days so if we're well below normal by mid month and have 1 week thaw then cool down again to close the month, it's highly likely to finish below normal for the month.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The long range forecasters on the New England thread have been talking about the possible development of a -NAO and possible period of +PNA to prevent an all out torch even as the EPO goes positive (trough in Gulf of Alaska), but expect this to again only be a brief relaxation of the prevailing -EPO. Also keep in mind that February only has 28 days so if we're well below normal by mid month and have 1 week thaw then cool down again to close the month, it's highly likely to finish below normal for the month.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Those guys are pretty good in the SNE forum. Things may shuffle around a bit...but it doesn't look like an all out furnace anytime soon. I agree that February will most likely finish colder. As it should, in this exceptional winter for cold and snow lovers. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535

If we do get a -NAO i don't think it will be till late in the month/March.

The GOA low can be a great thing ( hyper active storm track as system after system rolls into the west coast ) or very bad and thus see recent winters prior to this. One thing that would help us is keeping most of Canada cold ( not just nw ) so we have a source to draw from.

If we do get a -NAO i don't think it will be till late in the month/March.

The GOA low can be a great thing ( hyper active storm track as system after system rolls into the west coast ) or very bad and thus see recent winters prior to this. One thing that would help us is keeping most of Canada cold ( not just nw ) so we have a source to draw from.

It's that cross polar flow that is keeping the cold air coming. If that shuts down with the same teleconnections as now, then look out.

I see there is a west based block on the EURO, but that usually directs the coldest air towards New England.

Will have to factor any possible effects from the MJO next week.

Personally I think the last half of February will be more tame in terms of temperatures. The month should be below normal, but not like what the CFS is showing.

All patterns eventually burn themselves out...

It's that cross polar flow that is keeping the cold air coming. If that shuts down with the same teleconnections as now, then look out.

I see there is a west based block on the EURO, but that usually directs the coldest air towards New England.

Personally I think the last half of February will be more tame in terms of temperatures. The month should be below normal, but not like what the CFS is showing.

your keyboard to God's ears...   I'll be ready in about 10 days to pack up my snow weenie...maybe one more nice one.

No, a west based block is likely going to mean alternating cold and dry and warm and dry periods.  I know you want wintery weather to end if we don't get any more big snows, but I don't think it will come to an abrupt end, more likely die a slow death.

No, a west based block is likely going to mean alternating cold and dry and warm and dry periods.  I know you want wintery weather to end if we don't get any more big snows, but I don't think it will come to an abrupt end, more likely die a slow death.

The resulting weather pattern from the different teleconnections; apart from the Pacific ones, has been unpredictable. Right now with the +NAO and negative PNA you would think that it would be mild or at least seasonable. Winter will end and mild spells will increase in frequency, but spring can't come soon enough now.

EURO still showing the western Lakes getting a break after Tuesday next week.

DVN Dropping Bombs

attn: Geos

MAJOR REGIME CHANGE STARTING DAYS 5 INTO DAY 10 NORMALLY SUGGEST
MAJOR CHANGES IN SOLUTIONS AND PREDICTABILITY NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.
THIS CHANGE WILL RESULT IN MUCH WETTER CONDITIONS ALONG WEST COAST
WITH MILDER TEMPERATURES AT/BEYOND DAY 10 FOR CENTRAL US. THE
MAGNITUDE OF ENERGY CHANGES IN THE PACIFIC ARE AMONG THE HIGHEST
I HAVE SEEN OVER A 5 DAY PERIOD USING MULTIPLE SOURCES IN 35 YEARS
OF ANALYSIS. THE MEANING...THIS WILL NOT BE A MINOR CHANGE AND
SHOULD RESULT IN MAJOR TEMP/MOISTURE CHANGES LASTING MANY WEEKS
AND QUITE POSSIBLY MONTHS. TELECONNECTION WEIGHTING SUPPORTS MAY
RESULT IN AN ACTIVE SPRING...MUCH MORE TYPICAL THAN WHAT HAPPENED
LAST YEAR WHICH THIS AUTHOR CORRECTLY ASSESSED WOULD HAPPEN LAST
WINTER. THERE MAY BE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN KEY INDICES USED IN
TELECONNECTION TECHNIQUES NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS DUE TO THIS REGIME
CHANGE. THIS WILL BE QUITE EDUCATIONAL TO MONITOR. THE REGIME WE
ARE ON A TRAJECTORY FOR...FAVORABLY SUPPORTS HIGHS IN THE 50S AND
POSSIBLY 60S AT TIMES BY LATE IN THE MONTH...QUITE A CHANGE FROM
PAST 2 MONTHS. THE WEST COAST AND INTER-MOUNTAIN REGION WILL SEE
IMPRESSIVE RAIN TOTALS FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. THIS MAY
CONTINUE BASED ON ANALOGS AND STATISTICAL WEIGHTING IN
TELECONNECTIONS LOCALLY USED BY THIS AUTHOR...FOR MUCH OF THE
EARLY TO MID SPRING...POSITIVE IMPACTS TO WESTERN DROUGHT...HIGH
PW/S WOULD SUPPORT FLOODING RISKS THOUGH.

Archived