northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turd watch..>Euro...  super ridge over the west, trough over the east...    might be time to take a weather model breather and check back in around the end of the month..  this is a broken record.

211q88x.jpg

GFS shows a ridge out there in the mid/long range that lasts for around 6 days then it moves on. I think there is a decent enough model consensus to say that there is going to be some western ridging.

Turd watch..>Euro...  super ridge over the west, trough over the east...    might be time to take a weather model breather and check back in around the end of the month..  this is a broken record.

211q88x.jpg

JB's favorite Brazilian model has YYZ getting snow til may. :lol:  :lol:

07800W4350N.png

I'm sure Detroit will somehow continue to get its nickels and dimes over the next 2 weeks, if nothing else.

So "zzzzzzzzzz" depends on who you ask and their standards.

Zzzzzz is watching each flake add to record books for snowfall and snow depth.

Actually we haven't had as many nickels and dimea lately...been the big stuff...so bring it on.

Zzzzzz is watching each flake add to record books for snowfall and snow depth.

Actually we haven't had as many nickels and dimea lately...been the big stuff...so bring it on.

I like fresh snow just as much as anyone, but 20 inches is 20 inches.... I already have the snow and if its simply kept around, is all that matters to me.

No change for Quad Cities:

GUIDANCE STILL

SUPPORTING MAJOR REGIME CHANGE STARTING AFTER TUESDAY WITH MILDER

TO MUCH MILDER TEMPERATURES BY DAY 10...PROBABLY LASTING MUCH LONGER.

SEE YESTERDAY PM LONG TERM DISCUSSION FOR INFORMATION AS TO WHY...THE

RATE OF WARM UP LATE NEXT WEEK INTO THE FOLLOWING WEEK WILL TAKE

ANOTHER COUPLE OF DAYS TO BETTER (GAGE. )STILL FAVORABLE FOR MAJOR

CHANGES IN SOLUTIONS RUN TO RUN AS THIS SHIFT IN REGIMES OCCURS.

From WxBell:

Weeklies are out. The lakes and northeast now and into the midwest are below normal through day 32 now, but the warming is developing across the south as we get into March ( starts actually mid month) Next week has well below normal temps and above normal precip through the east, but is drier though still cold in the midwest. One of these days, what is turning out to be a top10 cold winter overall for the US, perhaps even top 5..will be over. Its then when cries of winters over will be right

through day 32?  :axe: 

From WxBell:

Weeklies are out. The lakes and northeast now and into the midwest are below normal through day 32 now, but the warming is developing across the south as we get into March ( starts actually mid month) Next week has well below normal temps and above normal precip through the east, but is drier though still cold in the midwest. One of these days, what is turning out to be a top10 cold winter overall for the US, perhaps even top 5..will be over. Its then when cries of winters over will be right

through day 32?  :axe: 

That company has done fairly well this year so it's hard to doubt them. It looks like the Euro has backed off on the mid month warm-up, as JB said it would. We've come this far - might as well secure this winter as one for the history books.  I'll be ready for spring by early March, though, unless an historic storm is forecast.

maybe, but they still show a weak-moderate pna signature even though the ensembles show a -pna developing. something isn't firing right in the sampling imo. The polar flow should be lifting north by 29th with a trough developing in the west.

Seriously should re-name this thread  "Angrysummon's bump troll treasure trove LR discussion".  Too many to choose from.

Damn it's cold..... suppose to get to -5 tonight here with a deep snowcover.... that damn retrogression and -PNA is really doing it's dirty work. :lmao:

Seriously should re-name this thread  "Angrysummon's bump troll treasure trove LR discussion".  Too many to choose from.

Damn it's cold..... suppose to get to -5 tonight here with a deep snowcover.... that damn retrogression and -PNA is really doing it's dirty work. :lmao:

More to it then just the PNA. I believe many mets and non mets alike have mentioned it. But yeah some ignore. lol

More to it then just the PNA. I believe many mets and non mets alike have mentioned it. But yeah some ignore. lol

...and that's the point.   Some just stake a claim to their idea, and pronounce the models as wrong or clueless....over and over and over...and over...again.   Even when they are proven wrong over and over and over again whether it's about a single storm or a long range pattern.   Everytime Angry makes a post laughing at a cold or snowy model solution, I end up either shoveling snow or throwing another log on the fire.

Which is fine now, but I really hope he stops posting in about 10 days, or at least starts to tout a cold spring.

...and that's the point.   Some just stake a claim to their idea, and pronounce the models as wrong or clueless....over and over and over...and over...again.   Even when they are proven wrong over and over and over again whether it's about a single storm or a long range pattern.  Everytime Angry makes a post laughing at a cold or snowy model solution, I end up either shoveling snow or throwing another log on the fire.

Which is fine now, but I really hope he stops posting in about 10 days, or at least starts to tout a cold spring.

:lmao:

Most on here have learned to ignore him.

As for me i hope he keeps on saying it so i can nab a few records. :popcorn:

Now while the models do show the -EPO relaxing a bit ( going slightly + ) they also now show the AO heading back towards it's negative state. This could put the screws to any ideas of a warm up till atleast sometime in March. I just hope if this does happen it does not come with a -NAO. Nothing showing that yet but yeah the concern is always there when the AO goes negative as often the NAO likes to follow suit. Those further south along i-70 would benefit from it most likely though if we get that -AO/-NAO combo even with a -PNA.

Currently EPO forecast on the EURO ensembles showing it going to +4, which is significant. GFS only brings it up to +3. The WPO, which is an influence of our weather, flips as well next week.

I think the region will have a thaw out like the one we had after the first cold outbreak in January, but it will host temperatures a bit higher due to it being later in the winter.

Someone is going to end up being wrong with the long range forecast. I believe JB has been lucky this winter. Previous winters he hasn't been so lucky at accurately predicting. Changes are happening in the Pacific and in what form it will effect this region is still to be seen. You can bet the models will be flip flopping before the pattern does occur though.

While I will admit that this could end up being the coldest winter in 20 years (for Toronto at least), the media really is sensationalizing this. I watched the CBS evening news this evening and they were calling this winter weird and "freakish" simply because California is in a drought and Texas is getting snow and ice, neither of which is unheard of. Patterns like this have happened before, just not in awhile.

Currently EPO forecast on the EURO ensembles showing it going to +4, which is significant. GFS only brings it up to +3. The WPO, which is an influence of our weather, flips as well next week.

I think the region will have a thaw out like the one we had after the first cold outbreak in January, but it will host temperatures a bit higher due to it being later in the winter.

Someone is going to end up being wrong with the long range forecast. I believe JB has been lucky this winter. Previous winters he hasn't been so lucky at accurately predicting. Changes are happening in the Pacific and in what form it will effect this region is still to be seen. You can bet the models will be flip flopping before the pattern does occur though.

And as said above the AO goes negative which means the cold wont be going anywhere. To do that we would need the PNA to be a little on the positive side or neutral and the NAO to stay positive as that would force all the cold out of Canada ( PAC jet would come crashing across Canada ) and ala force the PV to the other side of the globe as we had seen in some recent winters when the AO went negative and the cold never arrived in these parts.

And as said above the AO goes negative which means the cold wont be going anywhere. To do that we would need the PNA to be a little on the positive side or neutral and the NAO to stay positive as that would force all the cold out of Canada ( PAC jet would come crashing across Canada ) and ala force the PV to the other side of the globe as we had seen in some recent winters when the AO went negative and the cold never arrived in these parts.

As it looks right now. The GFS shows the NAO staying positive, the AO is positive, but could fall, and the PNA stays negative, but could hit neutral towards Valentines Day.

As it looks right now. The GFS shows the NAO staying positive, the AO is positive, but could fall, and the PNA stays negative, but could hit neutral towards Valentines Day.

Yep.. The models are struggling as is always the case when there is changes in the pattern. And yes the pattern can change and it still be cold and snowy. As there is different ways to get a warmer pattern the same applies to a colder one.

I admit my confidence is low. May get a bit more active but the hard part is figuring temps.

Yep.. The models are struggling as is always the case when there is changes in the pattern. And yes the pattern can change and it still be cold and snowy. As there is different ways to get a warmer pattern the same applies to a colder one.

I admit my confidence is low. May get a bit more active but the hard part is figuring temps.

:lmao:

Archived