Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/2/14-1/3/14 SnowStorm Observations

anthonyweather

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless things change I think this is going to be an under performer here in Lehigh County .. It is definitely not going to be what they were originally expecting of 6-10 inches and i can see why they downgraded it to 4-8. We just as of 7 PM eclipsed 1.6 inches. The radar does not seem to be filling in either and the back edge seems to be approaching slowly as well towards Lehigh County..

17 degrees.. I think the bigger story here is going to be the cold behind the storm!

Unless things change I think this is going to be an under performer here in Lehigh County .. It is definitely not going to be what they were originally expecting of 6-10 inches and i can see why they downgraded it to 4-8. We just as of 7 PM eclipsed 1.6 inches. The radar does not seem to be filling in either and the back edge seems to be approaching slowly as well towards Lehigh County..

17 degrees.. I think the bigger story here is going to be the cold behind the storm!

1.6"?? most areas are rerporting close to 4" now. should have no problem with 6-8" total

If the RAP and HRRR precip forecasts are accurate then who really cares how heavy it is because ratios will be good and the stuff will accumulate well

Basically for Philly & immediate NW burbs, rest of storm will be of this light misty type, the ratios could increase, especially if the inverted trough forms, however as you can see the epic stuff is headed off the coast to the S & E as expected 

1.6"?? most areas are rerporting close to 4" now. should have no problem with 6-8" total

Going by the report from the NWS 

LEHIGH COUNTY...

WHITEHALL TWP 3.5 800 PM 1/02 PUBLIC

1 S ALLENTOWN 3.3 825 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

HEIDELBERG TWP 2.5 710 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

ALLENTOWN AIRPORT 1.6 705 PM 1/02 ASOS

If the RAP and HRRR precip forecasts are accurate then who really cares how heavy it is because ratios will be good and the stuff will accumulate well

I think Highzenberg is just saying there won't be a bonus, which would have been nice, but if we can get to the forecasted range I'll be happy. In fact I'm happy now, gonna go outside and enjoy it for a few.

Going by the report from the NWS 

LEHIGH COUNTY...

WHITEHALL TWP 3.5 800 PM 1/02 PUBLIC

1 S ALLENTOWN 3.3 825 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

HEIDELBERG TWP 2.5 710 PM 1/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

ALLENTOWN AIRPORT 1.6 705 PM 1/02 ASOS

Yep, thanks for posting that.

Nws had lowered us to 4-6 at 7 pm. they just raised it back to 6-8

post-3309-0-96284300-1388717847_thumb.pn

Looking at pressure drops and wind direction are my only way that I have,looks to be trying to consolidate off the VA coast...also my temp up here has dropped 2 to 15 and the wind has just started to give some small puffs again...my anemometer got shredded,so I just listen to my house...Currently, Snow...4"+ @ 15dgs...

That airport measurement was 3 hours ago. Over 4" here in Allentown proper with the wind really picking up.

Edit: We also have to look out for the possibility of that inverted trough feature which the NAM, RAP, and HRRR have been alluding to. If that pans out accumulating snows will last another 7-8 hours in SEPA.

Archived