joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the GFS is finally coming back to reality temp-wise. Good to see it's getting colder for longer down by our region. Maybe we can hold onto frozen/snow until late evening.

I have always thought that u hav to get to 287 and 80 to be all snow ,  I do however question the back side of this at hr 42 .

I`ve seen CCB on the back side  from a deepening departing  low but they are rare  , not sure if this is just junk , usually this stuff doesn't verify

Do you think LI can get 6-7 inches of snow and .10" ZR glaze with this new 18Z GFS?  1993-1994 is back from the dead, that is for sure.  Changes to rain that fail to happen on the coast, can taste it.  The horns and bells of winter are deafening load this year.  Thank goodness the squeeze box, or outhouse is gone, or its freeze your bunz off ....

Do you think LI can get 6-7 inches of snow and .10" ZR glaze with this new 18Z GFS?  1993-1994 is back from the dead, that is for sure.  Changes to rain that fail to happrn on the coast, can taste it.

I remember that event.

It does feel that we will be on a roller coaster. I hate when we start out with snow, then the south shore of Nassau surges to the mid 40's.

This might be a nice snowstorm with mixed at the end with only liquid really further out east.

Do you think LI can get 6-7 inches of snow and .10" ZR glaze with this new 18Z GFS?  1993-1994 is back from the dead, that is for sure.  Changes to rain that fail to happen on the coast, can taste it.  The horns and bells of winter are deafening load this year.  Thank goodness the squeeze box, or outhouse is gone, or its freeze your bunz off ....

Still highly unlikely anyone on Long Island gets more than 4"... maybe 5". We would need a huge shift to allow more than that. We can get heavier precip but that would mean more warm air. The mid level centers don't close off in time for us, and the low is going to track very close to the coast. None of those are favorable for us. Expect a light snow event in the afternoon and early evening, some sleet, then rain which will likely wash most or all of it away. Any more than that, jump for joy because this just isn't a setup for us.

Oh those are my favorite.

It's not sticking!

This storm is a bust!

All the precip is light and disorganized!

Well everyone reading this right now should take note of this. Forecast is for the Moderate-heavy stuff to come later on in the evening. Perhaps tomorrow everyone here should remember this when posting. Perhaps treat it like we're still a day out. Come here to check the 6z and 12z and even 18z models just like one would do 24 hours before and do not worry what is happening outside your window so much until the evening hours.

The 18z cut back a little on the QPF from 12z closer to the other models and the 

changeover is approaching the South Shore beaches around 0z like the 12z run.

As that guy said in Stephan King's, "The Stand", "M-o-o-n, that spells", we're screwed on the coast... "M-o-o-n, that spells", gotta be N and W of NYC. "M-o-o-n, that spells", buy a tighter belt to keep those pants up, by the way its pinging already, but the radar looks like 3-4 inch per hour snows.

Still highly unlikely anyone on Long Island gets more than 4"... maybe 5". We would need a huge shift to allow more than that. We can get heavier precip but that would mean more warm air. The mid level centers don't close off in time for us, and the low is going to track very close to the coast. None of those are favorable for us. Expect a light snow event in the afternoon and early evening, some sleet, then rain which will likely wash most or all of it away. Any more than that, jump for joy because this just isn't a setup for us.

And each of the last few events found a way to hit to lower range of model snowfall projections here on Long Island.

Sunday heavier precip stayed south and dews verified higher on Tuesday.

And each of the last few events found a way to hit to lower range of model snowfall projections here on Long Island.

Sunday heavier precip stayed south and dews verified higher on Tuesday.

Maybe this can be the one to beat expectations finally. I still think the models might be warming the surface too much, which could at least buy us an hour or two past 0z. It'll at least be good to see accumulating snow tomorrow, however fleeting that might be.

Two events I recall when living in Brooklyn, NY

February 9th, 1969

Snow Sunday morning mixing with and changing to rain...24 hours later 15 inches.

January 1978  Snow, 2-4 inches mixing with and changing to a windswept heavy rain. Yes, it did change to rain for 15 minutes at the end after 13 inches of snow

if we keep the +NAO alive all winter 1993-1994 will be a good comparison, i believe. 90% of the posters in this subforum have no idea what that winter was like, that winter was the last true winter in NYC (95-96, 02-03, 09-10 and 10-11 get honorable mention but none of those combined REAL cold and elements like 93-94)....imagine going from near or blow zero to upper 40's- mid 50's in 24 hours....it happened a few times in just 3 weeks that winter!

Two events I recall when living in Brooklyn, NY

February 9th, 1969

Snow Sunday morning mixing with and changing to rain...24 hours later 15 inches.

January 1978  Snow, 2-4 inches mixing with and changing to a windswept heavy rain. Yes, it did change to rain for 15 minutes at the end after 13 inches of snow

those are two of the most famous snow events in NYC history. Lindsay storm was a true miller B, not even close to a comp to this storm. Jan 1978 was a miller A, also not a comp.....this is more like the early feb 94/dec 02 event that was supposed to changeover (2/94) that never did.

Archived