• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

if we keep the +NAO alive all winter 1993-1994 will be a good comparison, i believe. 90% of the posters in this subforum have no idea what that winter was like, that winter was the last true winter in NYC (95-96, 02-03, 09-10 and 10-11 get honorable mention but none of those combined REAL cold and elements like 93-94)....imagine going from near or blow zero to upper 40's- mid 50's in 24 hours....it happened a few times in just 3 weeks that winter!

I was looking at 93-94. It's plausible that we will get some sort of repeat soon.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

if we keep the +NAO alive all winter 1993-1994 will be a good comparison, i believe. 90% of the posters in this subforum have no idea what that winter was like, that winter was the last true winter in NYC (95-96, 02-03, 09-10 and 10-11 get honorable mention but none of those combined REAL cold and elements like 93-94)....imagine going from near or blow zero to upper 40's- mid 50's in 24 hours....it happened a few times in just 3 weeks that winter!

I remember it well. The only legit ice storm I could remember plus snow every week it seemed!

I remember it well. The only legit ice storm I could remember plus snow every week it seemed!

i used a metal baseball bat that winter more than a shovel to chop away at the 6 inches of hardened ice encrustation that encapsulated the snow under it..LOL

Edit: There were many ice/sleet storms that winter. I remember a storm (mid-january) that the NYC area keep transitioning between sleet and really crusted mangled snow flakes, we got at least 3-5 inches of that crap....while Boston received 18+ of long duration steady/moderate snow...gradient pattern etc....it was in the low 20's (at most) and we couldnt snow!

Guest Imperator

i used a metal baseball bat that winter more than a shovel to chop away at the 6 inches of hardened ice encrustation that encapsulated the snow under it..LOL

The ice was actually beautiful at night. The trees glistened reflecting the light. I don't think we had snow with that storm though just ice.

Guest Imperator

The ice was actually beautiful at night. The trees glistened reflecting the light. I don't think we had snow with that storm though just ice.

i remember the superstorm more vividly than anything from 93/94

I am trying to figure out if those backlash snows are gona materialize this time and throw a small accumulation down ( inch )  the backside all the way to the coast .

at Hour 42 , the center is just E of Montauk and heading ENE and its possible as the 850s are coming back to the coast and the surface gets below freezing  just in time for  the sleet to go back over .

Looks more like from 78 and points  east   so should  watch the State College radar  Sat nite as the system gets E of us , and see if any development occurs

and swings East.

Mayb grasping , but it has happened but its rare .

i remember the superstorm more vividly than anything from 93/94

micro vs macro. One event, which is one of the greatest storms in record keeping history, is obviously going to be more memorable than a winter with a lot of singles and doubles....I will point out the Yankees won 4 WS as a singles/doubles team and went to crap when they migrated to their current brand of crapball.

Can we take non storm related talk to the banter thread, thanks.

spend some time in the SNE thread and learn something...about how they interact and what they discuss. Its a crap post like that that gives this subforum its rep.

It is 642PM, what can possibly be discussed, event specific (not to mention talking about past events and making comparisons is event related, but whatever)?

I remember this storm well....there was ice on the roads for 2-3 weeks, it was such a long cold stretch that no appreciable melting occurred. I could only imagine that panic that it would cause now in todays society where they close school if its an inch of snow from the previous night

I remember this storm well....there was ice on the roads for 2-3 weeks, it was such a long cold stretch that no appreciable melting occurred. I could only imagine that panic that it would cause now in todays society where they close school if its an inch of snow from the previous night

i was a junior in college....I went CUNY-Queens and had to drive everyday...I used to carry salt and a shovel everyday to make myself parking spots! By far, the craziest winter of my life (im 40), bar none

I'd toss in 03-04 & 04-05...since they combined to produce 11 1/2 feet of snow out here...and January 2004 was about as cold as it gets.  Agree with all your other choices.  BTW, good to see you posting again Ace.

in addition, the fear would be media induced.....people these days dont know how to think for themselves...its really sad....But I digress..

I am hoping for a nice January 87/Dec 2002 surprise

I'd toss in 03-04 & 04-05...since they combined to produce 11 1/2 feet of snow out here...and January 2004 was about as cold as it gets.  Agree with all your other choices.  BTW, good to see you posting again Ace.

William, good to hear from you - you are a good man! Our climo's are a bit different. You are lucky enough to a borderline SNE climo....while I have a C N climo :axe: LOL!

And yes, Jan 2004 was absurdly cold.

I was looking at those sounding from the 18z gfs and I really don't see how the warmth is gonna overrun anywhere north of Rockland county if it even gets that far, any thoughts?

without looking at soundings....this storm is very reminiscent of the 1980's....snow to rain at the coast....Snow to ice inland....Orange county needs a cutter to do anything other than snow I assume....you should be fine, but I will divert to the real mets for forecasting

Guest Imperator

in addition, the fear would be media induced.....people these days dont know how to think for themselves...its really sad....But I digress..

I think the internet is partially to blame. Growing up in the 80s and 90s I remember so many storms and we dealt with them and most were always fun to deal with. Now, with the media and the fear mongering from so many weather outlets, a minimal snow event has become a storm of the century. It actually takes the fun out of enjoying the weather.

Guest Imperator

I think the internet is partially to blame. Growing up in the 80s and 90s I remember so many storms and we dealt with them and most were always fun to deal with. Now, with the media and the fear mongering from so many weather outlets, a minimal snow event has become a storm of the century. It actually takes the fun out of enjoying the weather.

William, good to hear from you - you are a good man! Our climo's are a bit different. You are lucky enough to a borderline SNE climo....while I have a C N climo :axe: LOL!

And ytes, Jan 2004 was absurdly cold.

Tomorrow's a close call IMO...there have been a lot less impressive anticyclones than the one in place that managed to hold their ground for a good long time before warm air floods in.  Also, I would not be shocked to see the 850 mb isotherm orient itself in a WNW / ESE fashion as the warmer air approaches from the southwest & the retreating arctic air slowly giving ground is anchored to the northeast of the metro area.  A couple of models seem to paint it that way and that often happens with mid latitude lows approaching from the west. 

Archived