joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 10th/11th winter storm threat

jamesnichols1989

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles still have very paltry QPF .

I think the Euro is really out to lunch on this event, not just up in SNE but down into the TN Valley, the RGEM/NAM/Hi Res models all hit places like BNA overnight with wintry precip meanwhile the Euro barely even gets anything into TN at all...to me this close in the Euro being this different than all models with the dynamics this event has in many locations probably is a product of its higher resolution not seeing things.

The latest HRRR runs down near the GuldFand TN Valley are strongly indicating that the Euro is going to be wrong at least down that way (obviously not a guarantee that translates up to the NE and SNE), precip is appearing at 00Z over TN/MS/AR well west of where the Euro indicates but more where the RGEM/NAM are...and in case nobody has noticed the HRRR has been on fire as of late with these storms, even at the end portion of its runs its been very accurate.

gut still says we are watching a band of good snows over the fish...with lighter stuff where it matters

Yeah it's a weird setup. Some DCVA as the shortwave trough amplifies and a little surge of moisture coming up from the SE and plains. GFS and NAM have a nice frontogenetical circulation that produces decent lift for the coast especially so that could wind up being a mini fluff bomb somewhere. 

What do you mean?

Maybe it because you guys are all so good at what you do, but you always seem to agree with each other. There never seems to be a different opinion. Like when DT or HM or others used to post they would offer up different opinions or reasons why they didn't agree with this met or that one. Obviously many times you'll all be in agreement because it's the correct idea, but there has to be times when Scooter or Will or Ryan posts things that you don't agree with and vice versa.

Maybe it because you guys are all so good at what you do, but you always seem to agree with each other. There never seems to be a different opinion. Like when DT or HM or others used to post they would offer up different opinions or reasons why they didn't agree with this met or that one. Obviously many times you'll all be in agreement because it's the correct idea, but there has to be times when Scooter or Will or Ryan posts things that you don't agree with and vice versa.

Most of us agree with details because we all see and understand the possibilties. Sure maybe someone thinks 2-4 vs 3-6, but just saying. I still have my doubts for 2" to BOS. Just not sure I buy it.

Yeah it's a weird setup. Some DCVA as the shortwave trough amplifies and a little surge of moisture coming up from the SE and plains. GFS and NAM have a nice frontogenetical circulation that produces decent lift for the coast especially so that could wind up being a mini fluff bomb somewhere. 

Looks like there may be just enough separation between the 2 s/w allowing for the southern one to amplify just enough and in time to clip us.  Not sure if this is something the ensembles would pick up very well.  Delicate interaction between the 2 s/w to say the least.

A lot can go wrong with this.  Maybe we can catch a break and watch this come in more potent today at 12z.

I love posting about storms that are modeled to have poor snow growth... but the Tuesday event on the GFS/NAM has some phenomenal snow growth progged. A very deep saturated layer -12 to -18c with strongest omega centered right around -15C. We could really pile up some 15:1 or 20:1 fluff if this verifies as progged.

I love posting about storms that are modeled to have poor snow growth... but the Tuesday event on the GFS/NAM has some phenomenal snow growth progged. A very deep saturated layer -12 to -18c with strongest omega centered right around -15C. We could really pile up some 15:1 or 20:1 fluff if this verifies as progged.

Soundings on the GFS were nice. Even a slightly unstable layer above 500mb over the Cape.

Definitely would be a better system with 850s in the -5 to -10C.  Surface temps mid/upper 20s.  Will stick around for a time too.

Soundings on the GFS were nice. Even a slightly unstable layer above 500mb over the Cape.

Definitely would be a better system with 850s in the -5 to -10C.  Surface temps mid/upper 20s.  Will stick around for a time too.

All of this could be for nothing if the best forcing slides 75 miles east and we're smokin' cirrus. 

Id like to see some mets disagree with other sometimes on storms, patterns etc. like this event.. Maybe one met thinks it's mostly a miss while another totally disagrees and thinks its a decent hit. Could we try that at times if appropriate?

haha. You'd rather the mets bring some livelihood and disagreement rather than just weenies vs mets...I could see that. However these guys are all good because they approach with caution...and will go gung-ho when warranted.

Everyone has the same idea with this little system...could be a few inches of snow, but also could miss with best forcing. No one is going to throw out widespread 3-5" though I don't think.

Archived