Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living right by Narragansett Bay, I usually get disappointed by these early/mid December storms.  I'm not expecting much from this one either.

New to the site, love all the info.  Truly great place to learn about our regions wx...

Welcome to the show!

As time goes on with this one I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 

I would hedge toward the Euro/GEM/GFS with the track past ACK.  The NAM is already about .5" in coastal NH and ME.  Maybe bump that up a bit.  Not too terrible IMO.  The Euro might be easier to criticize if it had more accessible graphics and was run every 6 hours.

So did the Euro.  Look at the depiction for h24 last night vs h12 today and where things actually are as we approach 0z.

More changes incoming tonight IMO.  Not the strong suit of the Euro (energy coming out of the SW)

Euro has had its isssues, but the NAM is all over the place. Don't trust it unless it is within 24 hrs out. I know a few other mets said the same. Just totally unreliable sometimes. However, not that we are approaching the onset of the storm, you do start to take it a bit more seriously.....er maybe a tiny bit.

What makes me extremely nervous is since the bulk of the accumulations will be occurring from a front end thump, if the frontogenesis, VV's, etc are not as strong as advertised...any chance for widespread 6''+ totals would quickly go down the tube.  I guess though it's a great thing we have that Arctic high to the north which will really help with great snowgrowth and ratios but these always make me nervous when going large  

Euro has had its isssues, but the NAM is all over the place. Don't trust it unless it is within 24 hrs out. I know a few other mets said the same. Just totally unreliable sometimes. However, not that we are approaching the onset of the storm, you do start to take it a bit more seriously.....er maybe a tiny bit.

I used to really love the NAM and it would be the first thing I look at but not anymore.

It's use really is just trying to pin down mesoscale aspects and that's about it...which goes with using it within 24 HR

I used to really love the NAM and it would be the first thing I look at but not anymore.

It's use really is just trying to pin down mesoscale aspects and that's about it...which goes with using it within 24 HR

NAM is great for mesoscale stuff.

But here is the problem.

T+72 hrs out + non-hydrostatic + srn stream disturbance+ nearby gulf stream + convection = model output disaster.

Oh I know, I'm just saying I'm worried about all models at this stage because none are really knocking out of the park even in the short term.  The Euro changes inside of 36-48 for places like Missouri were pretty dramatic this run and I'm not sure those changes are really supported in what we've seen today.  Again JMHO.

Oh I know, I'm just saying I'm worried about all models at this stage because none are really knocking out of the park even in the short term.  The Euro changes inside of 36-48 for places like Missouri were pretty dramatic this run and I'm not sure those changes are really supported in what we've seen today.  Again JMHO.

Well it certainly wouldn't shock me if this ticked SE at 00z and I am not saying that to be a weenie. We've seen it before. I guess it wouldn't surprise me for a tick NW again too...but that would have to happen if the srn stream kept coming in stronger.

I worry about the meat shredder / strung out mess scenario.

Living right by Narragansett Bay, I usually get disappointed by these early/mid December storms.  I'm not expecting much from this one either.

New to the site, love all the info.  Truly great place to learn about our regions wx...

I'm expecting 2-3 " Saturday evening, pingers around 2am and light rain/dry slot 37F by the time I get up on Sunday morning w/ a sloppy 1" on the ground...  Anything more than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.  The East Bay is always on the wrong side of a coastal front, even if just by a few miles.   Narragansett Bay serves no meaningful purpose in any way for snowfall enhancement and is only a detriment. 

I'm expecting 2-3 " Saturday evening, pingers around 2am and light rain/dry slot 37F by the time I get up on Sunday morning w/ a sloppy 1" on the ground...  Anything more than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.  The East Bay is always on the wrong side of a coastal front, even if just by a few miles.   Narragansett Bay serves no meaningful purpose in any way for snowfall enhancement and is only a detriment. 

100% agree.  We're always missing out on something by a few miles either to the northeast or northwest of our area when it comes to snowfall...

Well it certainly wouldn't shock me if this ticked SE at 00z and I am not saying that to be a weenie. We've seen it before. I guess it wouldn't surprise me for a tick NW again too...but that would have to happen if the srn stream kept coming in stronger.

Yeah .put me in the tickle SE camp..maybe even several notches..Synoptically the NW track doesn't make sense in progressive flow

its amazing what being on the east or west of the bay can bring you.  even being a few miles away can make a big difference.

Archived