mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compared to other busts, at least the storm has materialized. But the amount of shift is ridiculous. We're talking about a 350 to 400 mile shift in the axis of the heaviest snow southward in a matter of 48hrs. That's appallingly bad. At the start, LI was on the southern fringe of the moderate precip...and now the whole shield is south of LI. That's why this bust feels so bad. It also didn't help that there were a lot of comments on the board about how the entire sub forum is locked for a 8-12" and that everyone would be happy with the turnout. Ironically, nobody will.

Meh I never guarantee a storm until it's >24 hours away, and we've had a great winter already so this "bust" doesn't really mean all that much to me. Frankly, these busts don't even concern me too much, as I know beforehand not to expect anything. The true bust storms are those where I should get a lot of snow but instead have mixing/rain issue and bust way low.

Meh I never guarantee a storm until it's >24 hours away, and we've had a great winter already so this "bust" doesn't really mean all that much to me. Frankly, these busts don't even concern me too much, as I know beforehand not to expect anything. The true bust storms are those where I should get a lot of snow but instead have mixing/rain issue and bust way low.

But it shouldn't have to be that way anymore with the rise in technology. What's the point in even issuing watches and warnings if we don't know what's to happen until the day of or the day before the storm. There is still so much more work to be done to improve these models. The GGEM caught on faster than the others in the southward shift, but it still showed a significant event for us before that. 

This definitely ranks up there in terms of busts for me, good or bad. However, at least there was a progression where the snow amounts starting fading away gradually instead of the day of the storm like March 2001. Oh well, I can't complain in what was a great MET winter. Things are looking up to it seems as the gfs has been trending warmer this week. I'm done with following storms, it's been a great run but it's time to move forward I think. 

But it shouldn't have to be that way anymore with the rise in technology. What's the point in even issuing watches and warnings if we don't know what's to happen until the day of or the day before the storm. There is still so much more work to be done to improve these models. The GGEM caught on faster than the others in the southward shift, but it still showed a significant event for us before that. 

This definitely ranks up there in terms of busts for me, good or bad. However, at least there was a progression where the snow amounts starting fading away gradually instead of the day of the storm like March 2001. Oh well, I can't complain in what was a great MET winter. Things are looking up to it seems as the gfs has been trending warmer this week. I'm done with following storms, it's been a great run but it's time to move forward I think. 

Local media is still hyping a storm...now talking about schools closing in Monmouth co. Is it actuallysnowing there. Not that I care....

I think people just forget how difficult it is to forecast the weather in the first place.. the fact that models can even pick up on storms 5+ days out in itself is amazing. We definitely have a lot more work to do with weather models, but we've come very far in the past 10+ years.

Damnif they weren't right on Sandy tho, a storm I prayed would miss us in NJ. Snowstorms are cool, hurricanes are not.Tho Gloria was overhyped for us...

Part of what makes this crazy hobby so appealing to me is that, for all the progress that's been made in numerical and model forecasting in the last 10-15 years, there's still so much to learn.

Part of what makes this crazy hobby so appealing to me is that, for all the progress that's been made in numerical and model forecasting in the last 10-15 years, there's still so much to learn.

There's still plenty to learn and improve upon. The forecast of Sandy 7 days out by the Euro has to be one of the greatest forecast model achievements we've ever seen and the same can be said for the Superstorm of 1993 which had far less superior technology than Sandy did. 

At least when it comes to large scale, severe events, the models can be extremely accurate even several days out or at least some of them could be. 

Eh if I've been tracking a storm for days with expectations for at least a decent event, only to literally get next to nothing in the end, it is gonna leave a sour taste regardless of how good the winter's been. Especially since this might've been our last shot at snow for the season. This late Feb-March pattern that was supposed to be amazing and produce all this snow has been quite a dud so far.

On the bright side this storm has been an important lesson for me and I'm sure many others that models really can't be trusted more than a couple days out, and we still have a lot of work to do on improving them. The BUFKIT for the 12z GFS on Wednesday literally had 16 inches of snow for New Brunswick. One of the worst model performances I've seen for a storm ever.

Eh if I've been tracking a storm for days with expectations for at least a decent event, only to literally get next to nothing in the end, it is gonna leave a sour taste regardless of how good the winter's been. Especially since this might've been our last shot at snow for the season. This March pattern that was supposed to be amazing and produce all this snow has really been quite a dud.

On the bright side this storm has been an important lesson for me and I'm sure many others that models really can't be trusted more than a couple days out, and we still have a lot of work to do on improving them. The BUFKIT for the 12z GFS on Wednesday literally had 16 inches of snow for New Brunswick. One of the worst model performances I've seen for a storm ever.

It's March 2nd.

Archived