northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 10 -11 3rd Wave

NEG NAO

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mesoscale banding 24 hours out is impossible to pinpoint. The 4k NAM and HRRR are the models to look at but it's placement will change run to rum

I haven't looked at the HRRR but the 4k NAM has been pretty consistent. Here is the depiction from yesterday's 18z NAM. Compare this to the current 12z run. While the banding is more intense this run, the axis of the heaviest banding is in a similar position. Of course extreme caution should be used. Need look no further than yesterday.

nam-composite_radar_ne-45.png?1386534660

Why are people saying the euro is a whiff? It has .2 for us

The Euro is not a whiff, but it focuses the heavier banding offshore.

Also we're likely to see subsidence on either side of this band, wherever it does ultimately setup. I would expect a large range of accumulations across the region.

I think 2-3" is the way to go right now, and you can adjust accordingly as the event is arriving.

This would be great if it happens and makes yesterdays/ last night's bust all the more easy to swallow.

Lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed. :)

The burst of snow that happened yesterday around 5PM was a sight for sore eyes. It was enough to whiten everything up. And the freezing drizzle last night was impressive considering how bad the radar looked.

Lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed. :)

The burst of snow that happened yesterday around 5PM was a sight for sore eyes. It was enough to whiten everything up. And the freezing drizzle last night was impressive considering how bad the radar looked.

True.   Snow didn't make it that far north to here, but we did have quite the glaze this am....

It could, but it's been pretty consistent. You don't want to end up just north or south of intense banding. Subsidence city. Good luck.

The band looks though like it would pivot east through the rest of the region, so you probably wouldn't want to end up NW of it. Either way, looks like a quick hitter where we get most of our snow within 4 or 5 hours. Hopefully ratios can help with whatever falls.

Just fair warning expect 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 max as the air us rising creating banding in one place it's sinking in another. And it will b very easy to b in the Rip off zone and it does look like the model is hinting it's w of the take but u will not knw til tomrrw imo

The band looks though like it would pivot east through the rest of the region, so you probably wouldn't want to end up NW of it. Either way, looks like a quick hitter where we get most of our snow within 4 or 5 hours. Hopefully ratios can help with whatever falls.

The band weakens a bit as it slides east. Essentially the band initiates down south and then expands northeastward so the I-287 corridor gets the benefit of being right under the band as it intensifies, and then it slides eastward. Another very difficult forecast.

For those asking here is what the band looks like as it sides eastward, reminds me of our typical squall line collapse at the coast.

nam-composite_radar_ne-27.png?1386598549

nam-composite_radar_ne-28.png?1386598608

I cannot tell you how many times during each snowstorm that the band was always west of me nyc and west and as it moved towards my area is just broke apart and just wasnt as impressive at all....kind of like our summer time squall lines like you said. Hoping the coast cashes in on this one as im on long island ;)

I cannot tell you how many times during each snowstorm that the band was always west of me nyc and west and as it moved towards my area is just broke apart and just wasnt as impressive at all....kind of like our summer time squall lines like you said. Hoping the coast cashes in on this one as im on long island ;)

I think we all see some steady snow tomorrow but I think we see a wide range of variety in totals. Right now I would favor right a long I-95 for the heaviest accumulations and lets hope that someone cashes in like areas saw yesterday. I hope that the media weathermen do a good job in mentioning the potential for localized heavier amounts.

The one thing to remember here is that that band placement is around 9am when this event will start...the NAM has serious issues with being too slow to start events, always behind so that could mean that band is gonna be more east or even more NE of where the NAM shows it.

It starts at 7AM for NW sections. (12z)

The nam has been poor with band placement. But a frontogentic band with 3-6 inches+ not out of the question. Strong lift could also enhance snow ratios.

This does look like a setup where a heavy band develops where the best dynamics are placed, but it's on the move so it won't be in one area for a long amount of time. Hopefully it develops in time to nail someone, and it pivots east. These bands have a way of forming across N NJ due to terrain and closeness to the ocean, so it wouldn't surprise me if they get nailed again. But it's so hard to hang your hat on an outcome when essentially you're relying on a snow band to deliver most of your snow. And again, the system coming together too late is still on the table as well.

Archived