Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 10 -11 3rd Wave

NEG NAO

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been nice to have this low level cold the other night when it rained cats and dogs for 12 hours haha

that would've been nice and we'd be posting pics of our first snowstorm region-wide. this is why we NEED that all important -NAO flexing its muscles to not make these wound up lows cut and bring in the warmer ocean air and kill all cold air around here. we needed the rain though and any moisture at this point is welcome to our area(s). give it credit the cold air overperformed in the face of terrible teleconnectors, a lot of us saw our official first snowfall today including me

Man I hope the euro shows somethin good lol

lets not make the euro out to be perfect, the euro wasn't exactly stellar with this storm. the models have been consistently underestimating the CAD, more so away from the coast. Yes, though the euro is important to have on board as well as it rarely does have no clue with a storm

lets not make the euro out to be perfect, the euro wasn't exactly stellar with this storm. the models have been consistently underestimating the CAD, more so away from the coast. Yes, though the euro is important to have on board as well as it rarely does have no clue with a storm

That's what I was referring to as in trending towards other models... Trust me at this point until I see consistency I wont believe any single model

New SREF's came pretty noticeably north and west with 0.25"+ for much of NE NJ, SE NY, NYC, LI. Were a bit more apprehensive at 15z.

sref_namer_060_precip_p24.gif

Interesting.  It's a quick hitter and now both GFS and SREFs seem on board.  It's interesting to see 20-30% POPs in a short range for the NWS.  Their forecase for the first wave was honestly spot on up here in the NW despite outlets wanting to pump it up to more snow...

Interesting.  It's a quick hitter and now both GFS and SREFs seem on board.  It's interesting to see 20-30% POPs in a short range for the NWS.  Their forecase for the first wave was honestly spot on up here in the NW despite outlets wanting to pump it up to more snow...

...and the NAM...

Maybe we shouldn't have been so shocked at the strong band dropping those significant amounts around Philly and parts of NJ, Delaware, and PA. Whenever you have a strong temperature gradient in a WAA event, someone often gets hammered. The same thing could happen with this wave, so I wouldn't completely throw out the Nam if it shows too much. 

Maybe we shouldn't have been so shocked at the strong band dropping those significant amounts around Philly and parts of NJ, Delaware, and PA. Whenever you have a strong temperature gradient in a WAA event, someone often gets hammered. The same thing could happen with this wave, so I wouldn't completely throw out the Nam if it shows too much.

The nam saw this for today's wave it was just off on the location of the heavy band of precip.. So I def wouldn't let the NAMS wetter bias deter u from using it

You may be on to something.

The nam saw this for today's wave it was just off on the location of the heavy band of precip.. So I def wouldn't let the NAMS wetter bias deter u from using it

True, the Nam is also showing more of a coastal signature, which could support those higher amounts if it continues to trend in that direction. 

The upper levels have been gradually improving.  That's why this event has improved on the progs. Gradually more PVA ahead of the trof leading to slightly more lift and surface deepening.  Nice to see the model progs starting to show precip breaking out in the MO Valley moving into the OH Valley on Tue morning.  I hope it's real.  I wouldn't disregard the 0z NAM based on pretty good support from recent cycles of the GEFS.  But we are probably looking at a relatively short duration event and the NAM is likely too wet.  However, this might not be done trending, and with cold temps and moderate precip intensities, things could look very wintry on Tuesday.

Archived