• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 10 -11 3rd Wave

NEG NAO

The upper levels have been gradually improving.  That's why this event has improved on the progs. Gradually more PVA ahead of the trof leading to slightly more lift and surface deepening.  Nice to see the model progs starting to show precip breaking out in the MO Valley moving into the OH Valley on Tue morning.  I hope it's real.  I wouldn't disregard the 0z NAM based on pretty good support from recent cycles of the GEFS.  But we are probably looking at a relatively short duration event and the NAM is likely too wet.  However, this might not be done trending, and with cold temps and moderate precip intensities, things could look very wintry on Tuesday.

That would be nice and the good part is we would keep the snow that falls instead of seeing it get washed away due to the cold weather coming up.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per the AMS

A form of convection driven by a combination of gravitational and centrifugal forces.

Slantwise convection can occur in baroclinic flows in which the slantwise-upward displacement of air parcels, elongated in the direction of the thermal wind, results in a vector combination of buoyancy and Coriolis (or centrifugal) and pressure-gradient accelerations that drive the parcel in the same direction as the displacement. 

In addition the COMET program has an excellent web base training on this subject.

correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like GFS keeps us in the 20s all day Wed.

Could be the model reacting to at least some snow cover being established....

Very likely. Looks to be a cold week capped off by another storm threat for the weekend. How terrible a winter pattern we are in for day 8 of met winter. NOT

Compromise between rgem/nam/sref/gfs is about 2-4in. Something we all would gladly take.

It's possible we see someone get locally much greater amounts depending on the best banding like what happened today. 2-4" is a good call though for now. We might have better ratios as well with temps likely in the upper 20s when it snows.

All this cold should rapidly turn those positive departures around. 

The 00z 4k NAM has a weenie band right over I-95 on Tuesday morning.

Yep we will see. The GFS has been my fav model since the summer, its has been generally scoring well storm after storm.

- It also seems like the EURO is caving to the GFS constantly lately.

Archived