• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 10 -11 3rd Wave

NEG NAO

Seems we can analyze that band placement all day, but it's really going to come down to tomorrow AM and looking out the window and at the radar!

I will say it has been a rather exciting start to the season...

I love these smaller events. It's nice to have these constant snow threats while we wait for something bigger to evolve.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RGEM is in, overall not as NW of the NAM...it seems as if it might see that mesoscale band too but cannot necessarily place it, its evolution from 15-18Z is strange and it shows this suddenly heavier max band over NE PA at the 15-18Z timeframe...entirely possible its seeing evidence of a meso band but not exactly placing it..

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_anim.php?lang=en&map=qc&run=12&mod=gemreg&stn=PNMPR

RGEM with a tighter gradient but came in wetter than its prior 00 and 06z runs. Around 0.20-0.25".

Why it pulls all its QPF due east from 15-18Z I'm not sure...could be that its focusing the energy back to the developing surface low, it may be a convective feedback issue (the low centers seem to be many), or it could be as I said earlier its seeing a mesoscale band effect and is having trouble resolving it

The RGEM is in, overall not as NW of the NAM...it seems as if it might see that mesoscale band too but cannot necessarily place it, its evolution from 15-18Z is strange and it shows this suddenly heavier max band over NE PA at the 15-18Z timeframe...entirely possible its seeing evidence of a meso band but not exactly placing it..

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_anim.php?lang=en&map=qc&run=12&mod=gemreg&stn=PNMPR

Cautiously optimistic at this point. This really does have the makings of a JP for someone and a screw job for his neighbor.

Why it pulls all its QPF due east from 15-18Z I'm not sure...could be that its focusing the energy back to the developing surface low, it may be a convective feedback issue (the low centers seem to be many), or it could be as I said earlier its seeing a mesoscale band effect and is having trouble resolving it

The 4k NAM sets up that band over NE PA and then slides it east. As it travels east, it weakens a bit.

NWS in Balt/DC just issued winter storm watches for 5" or more of snow tomorrow in much of VA/MD. Let's hope it makes it this far north...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=VAZ054&warncounty=VAC013&firewxzone=VAZ054&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch

Doubtful..this is advisory level snowfall

NWS in Balt/DC just issued winter storm watches for 5" or more of snow tomorrow in much of VA/MD.  Let's hope it makes it this far north...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=VAZ054&warncounty=VAC013&firewxzone=VAZ054&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch

Warning criteria snowfall is less down that way. Confidence right now is low.

12hrsnwwrng.jpg

Text Output for 12z NAM

KJFK - 5.6"

KLGA - 6.3"

KISP - 5.2"

KMMU - 6.1"

KSWF - 3.2"

KHPN - 6.3"

KEWR - 6.3"

Ratios are in the 14:1 ratio or better in some locals.

At least the ratios and snowgrowth look favorable for us given the cold mid levels, so 0.3" QPF could mean 4-5" of snow. I think warning levels would be pushing it but it should at least be solid advisory level if everything comes together.

At least the ratios and snowgrowth look favorable for us given the cold mid levels, so 0.3" QPF could mean 4-5" of snow. I think warning levels would be pushing it but it should at least be solid advisory level if everything comes together.

A lot of the text ouputs give locations 0.40" or greater of QPF.

I would expect someone in N/C NJ, S NY, SW CT to get 6-8" from this (whoever gets luck with the banding). This wave is being more robustly depicted than the last one was for S NJ and they were able to get 6-12" with ratios. Someone will be very happy tomorrow IMO.

Yeah the ratios are going to be great. No shortage of cold air. The RH looks pretty solid.

nam_namer_030_500_rh_ht.gif

If you look at the 250mb winds you can see why this is so favorable for our area. We are in the exit region of a 180kt+ jet. We usually talk about 700mb vv's to look at where the highest rates will occur but as has been discussed over in USAwx, the best upward motion is actually occurring higher, which means are snow rates will be higher (ie snow growth in a colder region of the atmosphere). 

Archived