joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MAG - any thoughts on Tuesday? We have hope or is that yet another one for the I-95 crowd...

Just catching your post from earlier haha. Well, the NAM of course continues to be the best looking model, delivering at least a couple inches of snow to most of Central PA. 0z GGEM and GFS are fairly similar, getting some precip (light snow amounts) mainly into the southeastern quarter of PA (more moderate around Philly). 21z SREF probs seem to favor eastern PA as well with about 30% probs of 1"+. Similar probs in SW PA as well up to about Pittsburgh. Central seems to be in a bit of a hole. New Euro didn't seem to have very much looking at text data, places like MDT and LNS only had about a tenth of QPF.

Attm I'm not expecting too much if anything out of it, maybe a period of light snow that doesn't amount to much. Not completely discounting the NAM solution though, we certainly could see a zone where a couple inches fall. Will have to see what the rest of todays model runs do with it. Speaking of the 0z Euro, it's pretty darn cold later this week.. I think UNV had two nights with 4 for a low and Thursday was in the mid teens for a high.. Also has the potential weekend system affecting PA with, for now, lighter precip that is mainly snow. GFS had this system in this timeframe as well. Gonna be the usual deal with it being a few days before we have an idea on what is going to go on with that. 

And lastly, it's still about 25 degrees here. And the constant freezing drizzle this evening has turned the snow into a hard surface you can almost walk on top of. 

Less than an inch of snow with round one, and got pretty much sideswiped by the round two freezing rain. Judging by my wife's wash lines, we got less than 0.1" of ice accrual. It seems as though whatever might come tomorrow (Tuesday) could quite possibly do nothing more than give the area a glancing blow. I just have to wonder if this is going to be a recurring theme this winter.

As I took a first look at the radar this morning, it made me think back to a few of the summer/fall events that we had, and the same thing pretty much happened.

My job as a truck driver is to haul spring water from Tamaqua down to the Lehigh Valley in Trexlertown. There were a number of storms where it would either be drizzling or not raining at all at the spring in Tamaqua, but by the time I got to the Lehigh Valley, it would be raining quite steadily, and sometimes downright heavy.

Coincidence? Perhaps, but it happened enough for me to wonder if it's some kind of pattern, and will it continue, to some degree, throughout the next few weeks/months....

Man, went out around 4:45am to see how its looking since the State still hasnt announced a delay and if its bad I'll be driving the fiance in and well...its bad. Parking lot sheet of ice, street sheet of ice and completely untouched by the township. Not too sure how Im gonna be getting her to work...

Ended up with 2.8" of snow followed by just shy of 2/10" of freezing rain accumulation. Main roads in/around Lancaster are fine, but the side streets are still very slick. Snow that fell is now concrete and the dogs are no longer having fun in it. 

Another shot of possible accumulating snow coming tomorrow will make the "concrete paste" even more pasty...

3.8" of snow (0.24" liquid equiv) followed by 0.10" of freezing rain (0.19" liquid) for 0.43" total liquid equiv.  Snow depth is a solid 3" with a heavy crust on top. 

Allweather,

good call on that megaband yesterday.  You said anywhere from the turnpike to Baltimore and it set up right in between.  I dont know what I would have done if those crazy rates made it here and I ended up with 8-10".  I'm still happy with this event and CTP nailed it down here.

Archived