e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 1.3" here with a nice glaze on top. Currently 25.1F off of a high of 25.6F.

It's still early, but next weekend looks promising. At least the next week plus looks cold.

Yeah, hopefully we can get some good moisture advection into the cold dome, or finally get one of these things to develop a closed mid-level circulation with even a weak CCB or something.  Hopefully the progressive pattern doesn't push it too far east, but likewise, there's always the chance for a cutter with the SE ridge. 

Took a bit over 11 hours to get 1.3" with 0.13" LE, at 9 PM with very light snow continuing.  High was 19, first sub-20 max of the season.  Drive home from AUG was uneventful except for the pickup that pulled out in right in front of me at the Irving in Belgrade, then stopped quickly to allow a left turn by a vehicle coming the other way.  No contact, no foul.

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.14” L.E.

I happened to see that flakes were flying around 2:30 A.M. this morning, pretty much in line with what the NWS forecast had suggested, but I was very surprised to see only a tenth of an inch of accumulation at 6:00 A.M. observations time this morning – that’s a pretty slow rate of snowfall during that period.  It snowed on and off today in Burlington, but the flakes were small and accumulation was very slow.  I saw that the same thing was happening at the house via the web cam, although as usual the accumulation was more substantial there than what seemed to be going on in the Champlain Valley.

I got to witness some interesting, and at times dramatic, temperature changes on the way home this evening.  I was out in Essex for an evening meeting, and when I left around 8:00 P.M., the temperature was in the 35-36 F range and precipitation was falling in the form of light rain and snow.  I expected the temperatures to drop as I headed east into the mountains, but they didn’t, they rose to nearly 40 F by the time I approached Richmond, and the precipitation changed fully over to rain.  The snow on the ground in that area really seemed to be pretty minimal, which I guess isn’t too surprising with temperatures around 40 F.  The temperature hovered around that point all the way through Jonesville, and it didn’t start to drop until I approached the town of Bolton – but boy did it drop fast as I finally passed to the east side of the Greens along Bolton Flats.  It was dropping so fast through there that it was skipping numbers on the car’s digital thermometer.  By the time I got to the house, the temperature there was 29.5 F – representing a full 10 F drop in the span of a few miles.  I’m not sure if there was downsloping taking place on the west side of the Greens, but that really showed the effect that the spine can have on temperatures.

At the house I found 0.9” of snow, and it contained 0.14” of liquid.  I couldn’t believe that it was as dense as the numbers suggested, so I actually thought that I must have measured the liquid incorrectly.  I went out and stacked three more cores off another snowboard to confirm the measurement, and indeed that snow density was real.  It slid right off the snowboards as nice dry snow, and I know the flakes were really small today, thus making the snow somewhat dense, but perhaps there was some sleet or something in there that gave it some extra heft.

With the inch of snow today, the season total has hit exactly 20.0”, but we also just slipped behind average season snowfall for the date, which is 20.3”.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.4

Snow Density: 15.6% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

I am somewhat hopeful about this weekend's prospects. It would be nice to see the first warning criteria event for the season. I know it is always a crap shoot in the CPV, but none the less it is something to watch. I am ready to finally hit the slopes too :)

I am somewhat hopeful about this weekend's prospects. It would be nice to see the first warning criteria event for the season. I know it is always a crap shoot in the CPV, but none the less it is something to watch. I am ready to finally hit the slopes too :)

no whammies, no whammies.

fwiw-i wish people would stop talking about systems that rhyme with "shutters"

I chased the band that went through Vergennes. I missed it at the absolute height, but I still got to some 1/4 vis and nice big dendrites. It was awesome to drive into the "wall of snow" as it went from nothing to a nice buildup on the road within a few hundred feet. There was no safe spot to shoot from just out to get that "wall" effect but I did take some nice shots which I will post later that will get you in the holiday mood. I caught it south of Starksboro on 116 close to where it meets 17.

I chased the band that went through Vergennes. I missed it at the absolute height, but I still got to some 1/4 vis and nice big dendrites. It was awesome to drive into the "wall of snow" as it went from nothing to a nice buildup on the road within a few hundred feet. There was no safe spot to shoot from just out to get that "wall" effect but I did take some nice shots which I will post later that will get you in the holiday mood. I caught it south of Starksboro on 116 close to where it meets 17.

Love it! You are definitely making the most of the weather up here. You know when I lived in BTV I used to do stuff like that...chase squalls or t-storms or upslope. You have such easy access to quick west, north and south movements with 89 and RT 7. Since moving out here though I've been more waiting for weather to find me...and trying to chase on RT 100 can be a pain in the arse.

Love it! You are definitely making the most of the weather up here. You know when I lived in BTV I used to do stuff like that...chase squalls or t-storms or upslope. You have such easy access to quick west, north and south movements with 89 and RT 7. Since moving out here though I've been more waiting for weather to find me...and trying to chase on RT 100 can be a pain in the arse.

Yeah 116 is nice drive for north-south and not as slammed as 7, which has lights and traffic etc. With minimal safe spots to stop I didn't stay too long but I wouldn't be surprised if someone picked up a quick couple of inches out of that down there. It was building up fast and definitely behaved like a lake effect streamer. It was definitely reasonably organized for a time.

BTV is not overly excited about the weekend with the thinking being widespread "advisory snows". I am hopeful I can chase a squall or two tomorrow.

Probably a safe bet. We don't do overly well in below normal temp regimes during winter up here...stuff tends to slip southeast too much.

Andy Nash is the met-in-charge at BTV, and always seems to have a good handle on the local weather, and he seems to be a good AFD writer...looks like he had a busy day at the office doing all the forecasting, lol:

$$ Synopsis...Nash

near term...Nash

short term...Nash

long term...Nash

aviation...Nash

Probably a safe bet. We don't do overly well in below normal temp regimes during winter up here...stuff tends to slip southeast too much.

Andy Nash is the met-in-charge at BTV, and always seems to have a good handle on the local weather, and he seems to be a good AFD writer...looks like he had a busy day at the office doing all the forecasting, lol:

$$ Synopsis...Nash

near term...Nash

short term...Nash

long term...Nash

aviation...Nash

This storm has the typical VT screw job vibe already 120 hours out. Probably 3-6" of fluff while SE of the whites gets a foot.

Archived