Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November weather dicsussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold stabs in and lifts out. Shocking for late November/early december.

Def not shocking , lets just pray that polar vortex splits

Thou it would be mildly amusing to see a powderfreak meltdown if early dec start's a prolonged mild and dry period. Trees sagging w snow now, bare and blowing in mild sw breezes w dew points around 30. In all seriousness thou i am concerned of a dry and mild winter, no panic but just more of a concern this year w a drier overall pattern in most of the ne and a few indicators which are seemingly reliable pointing to a ++AO.

There is a brief split in the PV upcoming and it assists in this serious cold shot we have coming early next week, but its also preventing the -nao that some of the guidance was trying to develop as the split piece swing back scross greenland from hudson's bay...then regathers itself in the long range...Better to have something disturbing that thing than nothing though I guess

And the ensembles don't have a +EPO

They started to bring the EPO up near the end of their run last night...so its a possibility. The OP +EPO was kind of a skinny trough up there so I doubt it happens that quick, but the ensembles were lowering the heights there in the D12-15 range.

Agree with Cisco, here.  Mentioned this a few posts ago that all runs since 00z last night have continuity issues.  Very difficult to trust anything in the middle and extended (more so than normal uncertainty for these time ranges)

"THE SPLIT FLOW AT THE MEDIUM RANGE HAS BEEN PROBLEMATIC FOR THE GLOBAL NUMERICAL MODELS DURING THE LAST FEW DAYS` WORTH OF DATA RUNS ..... THE TIMING AND AMPLITUDE OF THE STRONGER SHORTWAVES WITHIN BOTH STREAMS HAVE BEEN DISPARATELY HANDLED--BOTH INTER- AND  INTRAMODEL."

I'm looking at the basic teleconnector spread, and assuming that some form of sanity emerges from the smoothed mean ... and I still see things as cold and volatile through the first week of December.   I would not be surprised if at any given time in the nearer run cycles, if one or two of those storms now vanished were to make a return.

Still a very strong Aleutian ridge modeled and even getting into wrn AK in the long range, so that's good. Take it FWIW though. Very ++ NAO too. The line shall be walked I think. I could see a warm first few days or so to start December before it cools again. 

Lord knows I've been wrong before but I don't see a warm first few days of December...  The EPO rebulges downward, and despite whatever operational trends there are for the NAO, the nightly derivatives are still indicating a -NAO actually.  All the while, the AO is corrected down to neutral.   Perhaps a transient warm sector before a predominating cold signal reloads, I could go with that.  We'll see. 

Still a very strong Aleutian ridge modeled and even getting into wrn AK in the long range, so that's good. Take it FWIW though. Very ++ NAO too. The line shall be walked I think. I could see a warm first few days or so to start December before it cools again. 

yeah i think it's definitely a fine line after the first cold shot gets through here. maybe the second has legs as well (around / just after turkey day). from there...the flow looks rather flat across the conus but there's plenty of cold in canada to offset that. i just hope we aren't watching -20C 850s continuously drop to james bay and then rotate due E. 

Lord knows I've been wrong before but I don't see a warm first few days of December...  The EPO rebulges downward, and despite whatever operational trends there are for the NAO, the nightly derivatives are still indicating a -NAO actually.  All the while, the AO is corrected down to neutral.   Perhaps a transient warm sector before a predominating cold signal reloads, I could go with that.  We'll see. 

personally think the smart $ is on the NAO being positive - if not strongly positive. it might dip negative for a very brief interlude...but i don't see a favorable pattern. those spaghetti charts are poo.  

Archived