wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 24-25 Snowstorm

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have not had a white Christmas since 2004. We have not had a storm of 1" or more on Christmas Day since 1995, when exactly 1" fell. Here are the top 10 for Columbus:

1. 7.0" 1890

2. 5.7" 1909

3. 3.0" 1950

4. 2.5" 1917

5. 2.3" 1969

6. 1.9" 1976

7. 1.3" 1935

8. 1.2" 1944

9. 1.1" 1989

10. 1.0" 1995

Then its probably longer for me. Absolutely no snow on Christmas here in 04. Tons of freezing rain. Never turned to snow here. Over in delaware, they got hammered. I remember seeing them reporting on the news. Made me sick. Lol

Then its probably longer for me. Absolutely no snow on Christmas here in 04. Tons of freezing rain. Never turned to snow here. Over in delaware, they got hammered. I remember seeing them reporting on the news. Made me sick. Lol

Yeah I remember Christmas 04. It wasn't white IMBY. More of a clear shiny glaze.

Its coming north

Surprisingly it has trended north being 5 days out....With the storm last week the GFS didn't "get on board" until 72 Hours out....I figured it would do the same this time too especially since the Euro and CMC had similar tracks....then again one run one model....so not jumping for joy yet.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is a candidate for big time Sutcliffe-Pettersen self-development -- somewhat like MSP's big daddy last week. The GFS seems to have picked up on this little tidbit over the past few runs (as has the EC today to a degree), and with the UA pattern the way it is (major upstream amplification), there's room and reason to amplify. There's also a significant latent heat component going on with this deep moisture fetch.

Honestly, my hunch is that this thing continues to trend north and slightly slower with time, not based on any "NW trend", but due to this type of cyclogenesis being picked up on.

Archived