gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 24-25 Snowstorm

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Ohio folks you may like part of the DTX discussion.

ANOTHER STRONGER SYSTEM IS THEN SHOWN TO MOVE ONSHORE FROM THE

PACIFIC BUT CUTTING UNDER THE LONG WAVE RIDGE. THIS DOES FAVOR A

FARTHER SOUTH TRACK THROUGH THE TENNESSEE VALLEY BUT WITH A CHANCE

THAT THE NORTHERN FRINGES OF THE MOISTURE PATTERN WILL BRUSH SE

MICHIGAN DURING CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS DAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL

HELP REAMPLIFY THE LONG WAVE PATTERN OVER NORTH AMERICA THROUGH

CHRISTMAS WEEKEND. GLOBAL MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON

THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN EVOLVING INTO AN OMEGA BLOCK THAT SETS UP

ANOTHER ROUND OF DEEP NORTHERLY FLOW ALOFT OVER THE GREAT LAKES. DUE

TO THE HIGH PREDICTABILITY OF SUCH A LARGE SCALE PATTERN, THERE IS

HIGH CONFIDENCE IN THE CORRESPONDING BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES

EXPECTED FOR SE MICHIGAN. THERE IS ALSO A GOOD SHOT AT A PERIOD OF

ACTIVE LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS BEFORE A WESTERLY COMPONENT DEVELOPS

IN THE LOW LEVEL FLOW BY LATE SUNDAY.

Still learning and im curious what is meant by cutting under the long wave ridge. Is it normal for energy to do this?

Also does " THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN EVOLVING INTO AN OMEGA BLOCK" represent the NAo block? Thanks

I'll go out on a limb and say when this gets into the NAM's range, it's north.

It is all in the amount of phasing that occurs, if it phases more it will be north and stronger. If it stays unphased it will be south and weak. It is something to watch, however with the amount of energy that is progged to slam into the West Coast I wouldn't be shocked if this is closer to the 18z GFS and the ensembles.

It is all in the amount of phasing that occurs, if it phases more it will be north and stronger. If it stays unphased it will be south and weak. It is something to watch, however with the amount of energy that is progged to slam into the West Coast I wouldn't be shocked if this is closer to the 18z GFS and the ensembles.

looking at the h5 the 0z NAM has coming on the scene, it's going to dig but really crank things up to the east, i can't imagine it turning out surpressed.

Still learning and im curious what is meant by cutting under the long wave ridge. Is it normal for energy to do this?

Also does " THE LARGE SCALE PATTERN EVOLVING INTO AN OMEGA BLOCK" represent the NAo block? Thanks

Here is a link that may help explain it Steve....If not let me know and will try and help clarify.:thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_%28meteorology%29

any of you mets ever heard the idea that the latitude a storm enters the west coast is the latitude it will usually exit the eastcoast? I say this because margusity mentioned that the storm is supposed to come ashore at sanfrancisco and will therefore exit off delaware. It reminded me that jb use to say that all the time as well.

any truth to that???

any of you mets ever heard the idea that the latitude a storm enters the west coast is the latitude it will usually exit the eastcoast? I say this because margusity mentioned that the storm is supposed to come ashore at sanfrancisco and will therefore exit off delaware. It reminded me that jb use to say that all the time as well.

any truth to that???

It's crap our best storms dive into the southwest.

any truth to that???

Don't think so, as a lot of storms dive into the SW and eject out to the NE.

Don't think so, as a lot of storms dive into the SW and eject out to the NE.

pretty much, powerhouse H5s that dig well south into the desert southwest and then eject NE towards Detroit our are big snow storm bread and butter. As far as i'm concerned the slower and more this thing digs, the harder it turns NE.

Archived