joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Scott as you and PF were talking about earlier this week how Atlanta could be colder than up in parts of the NE for a morning or two. Well here in the mountains of WNC we had a low of 22 degrees with the NWS calling for some snow coming in tonight. Crazy how things work out sometimes from North but yall always hammer use on snow totals up here.

That happens a lot. The cold has a more srly punch which is why the coldest anomalies are down there. Not necessarily coldest air, but a comparible airmass that far south means big - departures.

this stretch of weather has rivaled some of the other prolonged quiet periods since i joined eastern. hope this snaps soon.

still looks like tues night would be really chilly if the euro has the right idea.

Extremely boring. We've had some bizzare Autumns so I suppose we were going to get some boredom sooner or later. At least the media can't hype or blame AGW. :lol:

Hey Scott as you and PF were talking about earlier this week how Atlanta could be colder than up in parts of the NE for a morning or two. Well here in the mountains of WNC we had a low of 22 degrees with the NWS calling for some snow coming in tonight. Crazy how things work out sometimes from North but yall always hammer use on snow totals up here.

Yeah you guys will crush us in departures with lows like that. I don't think anyone but Saranac Lake, NY has gotten into the low 20s yet this season up in the northeast. Awesome. And a great example of how a weak thermal gradient aloft brings the anomalies much further south. Likewise in the summer, we may have similar temperatures but the anomalies would be north instead of south.

Trees are pretty much bare here I'm taunton, even the stubborn oak In the front yard that was fully green until last week will be bare within a few days.

My oaks made a noticeable change this week.  My maples/birch are pretty done.  Was another frosty one this AM.  Could be in the 20s the next couple AM's.

Found this photo floating around the inter-webs of Cleveland this morning...Lake Erie was cranking last night. Lots of leaves still on those trees.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thats pretty sweet. Tug Hill could get a couple rounds between now and next week, but the flow doesn't look to align long enough to be a huge event anywhere. Still, nice to see some legit winter wx in the northeast.

Thats pretty sweet. Tug Hill could get a couple rounds between now and next week, but the flow doesn't look to align long enough to be a huge event anywhere. Still, nice to see some legit winter wx in the northeast.

Yeah, and as we know getting photos out of the Tug Hill (as well as reports) is difficult so who knows if it'll even be observed, lol. The Tug Hill makes the Green Mountains seem like a bustling metropolis.

But seeing that in or near Cleveland is impressive...that looks like it may have caused some issues for a populated region, and being near the warm lake you know that foliage is probably hanging on stronger than most areas in the northeast.

Nice to see photos of snow in inhabited areas though, lol.

big difference next week between the 12z gfs and, so far, ggem (which was closer to the euro). the latter has big sprawling cold HP settling over the NE Mon-Wed while the GFS has a quick glancing shot through NNE and allows a wave to ride up through the GL, such that we are back into S flow very quickly Tue/Tue eve. 

could conceivably be cooler tue/wed than the end of this week and see lower 20s at night in the typical radiational cooling spots on the GGEM...or rising through the 40s on the GFS. 

euro actually offers up a little snow...or at least not plain liquid...to C and NNE the middle of next week with a wave running out S of SNE. Cool HP moves in mon-wed and only slowly retreats NE so the LL cold stays pretty firmly in place...and instead of a big wound up cutter...it's a weak flat wave ejecting out of the Ohio Valley. 

My oaks made a noticeable change this week.  My maples/birch are pretty done.  Was another frosty one this AM.  Could be in the 20s the next couple AM's.

yeah everything here is pretty much done. Grass is even done growing here. Not much green at all, if any. It happens sneaky quick around here it seems like. Will be enjoying the cooler nights and days for sure.

euro actually offers up a little snow...or at least not plain liquid...to C and NNE the middle of next week with a wave running out S of SNE. Cool HP moves in mon-wed and only slowly retreats NE so the LL cold stays pretty firmly in place...and instead of a big wound up cutter...it's a weak flat wave ejecting out of the Ohio Valley.

Hope this is start of consistency

So bummed I'm in NY right now and not home. Friends say it's snowing down to the village elevation now. Looking white up at the office.

Upslope delight. Mountain near the county line under moderate echoes for a while now.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There's certainly some upslope enhancement going on in association with a cold front and some lake moisture being entrained (although not pure upslope in a classic sense). The sounding is good for the spine and east today with the lack of any inversion and 25 knots of due west wind pushing it up and over the mountain. Froude > 1 today.

While not pure upslope, there's certainly some upslope enhancement going on in association with a cold front and some lake moisture being entrained. The sounding is prettyyyy good for the spine and east today with the lack of any inversion and 25 knots of due west wind pushing it up and over the mountain. Froude > 1 today.

I keep waiting to see if MVL will switch over...numerous posts on FB from friends saying it's snowing in town but not sticking obviously. That's usually how it goes if it's starting to stick at the ski area base, we'll get cat paw flakes in town.

Radar does look like Froude over 1 just based on experience if the precip is reaching well into the RT 100 corridor.

I keep waiting to see if MVL will switch over...numerous posts on FB from friends saying it's snowing in town but not sticking obviously. That's usually how it goes if it's starting to stick at the ski area base, we'll get cat paw flakes in town.

Radar does look like Froude over 1 just based on experience if the precip is reaching well into the RT 100 corridor.

Yeah I'm gonna bet they're mixing when its coming down on the heavier side. We had some mix in here (more like melting graupel) too although not "officially" on the ob.

Still seeing enhancement along the Greens and some of the WRF runs keep it going into the overnight.

Archived