• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Tracker the graph you posted I am not sure how to read it or what I am looking at. Can you educate me on it.

Sure.

The y-axis of the graph are each of the 50 runs of the Euro model.  Starting at "e" and going down to 50.  Each column represents the forecast time period, and each row represents one member of the ensemble.

So reading it, you can see a lot of pink colors all at the 12Z Thursday time slot (+72 hours).  Scanning from top to bottom at the Thursday time period,  you get a mix of different shades of pink, a few blues, and a few purples.  So some members are going low on the snowfall amounts, some are going very high (over 20"), and 90% of them are in the pink which is 10-14" of snow.

The bottom graph spells it out a little more clearly, with the blue bars being the operational run of the Euro, and the green bars being the mean (average) of all the 50 members of the ensemble.  What it says, basically, is that the operational Euro was right on track and the forecast holds for the mountain areas.  8-12" on average.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we get mixing issues or is it a phased bomb and drag cold down the back?

No mixing issues for mountain areas.  Should be all snow.

The hard part of the forecast are the snow ratios.  I am currently using 8:1 based on climatology on these types of systems, proximity to the 850 zero line, and the moisture source region (GoM).

Here you go.  It's in a PERFECT position for heavy snow in the mountains.  Now, if we can only get the darn American models to move a little west too...

That's definitely west of the 0z control run as well. It was centered over the OBX. I expect 0z to hold serve or possible go a little west.

The hard part of the forecast are the snow ratios.  I am currently using 8:1 based on climatology on these types of systems, proximity to the 850 zero line, and the moisture source region (GoM).

Yes, I definitely agree with the slightly lower ratio, I believe Dec. 09 was near 8:1.

Sure.

The y-axis of the graph are each of the 50 runs of the Euro model.  Starting at "e" and going down to 50.  Each column represents the forecast time period, and each row represents one member of the ensemble.

So reading it, you can see a lot of pink colors all at the 12Z Thursday time slot (+72 hours).  Scanning from top to bottom at the Thursday time period,  you get a mix of different shades of pink, a few blues, and a few purples.  So some members are going low on the snowfall amounts, some are going very high (over 20"), and 90% of them are in the pink which is 10-14" of snow.

The bottom graph spells it out a little more clearly, with the blue bars being the operational run of the Euro, and the green bars being the mean (average) of all the 50 members of the ensemble.  What it says, basically, is that the operational Euro was right on track and the forecast holds for the mountain areas.  8-12" on average.

Thanks Tracker! That really brings it all together for me. I have been seeing these all day and was like what the heck am I looking at. Again thank you for the explanation.

Thanks Tracker! That really brings it all together for me. I have been seeing these all day and was like what the heck am I looking at. Again thank you for the explanation.

No problem.  Glad it helped.  It's a very unique and fun way to view all the ensembles at once.  Credit to Ryan Maue who puts those together!

I'm thinking 10 to 12 to 1 for my elevation. I won't bother to calcuate just how much snow that converts to! :) Still thinking Euro Ensembles was/is the way to go with this.

I like the notion that the snow tomorrow is little futher North than depicted giving maybe a couple bonus inches for the mtns before the main event.

A lot of fuel burnt chasing this one! Is anyone getting wrung out like I am? I normally live for the chase but after such a long drought I am still on pins & needles. Here's hoping all our wishes come true.

I havent watched model runs and play by plays like this since the Christmas storm in 2010. I dont want my heart broken thats for sure.

NAM wasn't a perfect run, but it's good enough for big snow.

Yea, but that setup looked a little strange. I'm not sure I trust that run. That said, it still would likely put the mountains in that 6-10 range (maybe 4-8 with conservative ratios). As was pointed out to me earlier, we can't take individual runs at face value.

I like the looks of Roberts wxsouth accumulation map.

Can you post the map?

Archived